Lowline Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

ranchwabble":1d3klxd3 said:
Sorry, I wasn't impressed with the Lowline cow, either. Is she a fullblood, purebred or percentage? She might be wormy, deficient in some mineral or nutrient, or maybe that calf is just dragging her down too much. It's a lot to ask of a miniature cow to raise a "normal" size calf. Your video didn't show much of the calf but it looked like it was about as tall as the mother.

She was worse when we got them (felt like we rescued them). She has gained a little wieght. I haven't wormed her though so I'll go ahead and do that. That calf is dragging her down too but she is still gaining slowly.

Sorry for being so hard on you. I thought you had , had them longer than that. They definately need some help. Everyone's right about weaning the calf though.

PLEASE take that video OFF Utube - I'm sorry, you must not realize it, but ALL your cattle are a disgrace to the cattle industry husbandry. We do not want "city" folks seeing cattle in that poor a condition.
I really don't care if you just got them last week & you are trying to rehab them - please do NOT show them to people until they are in better physical condition.
You obviously LOVE your cattle, and you have what we in the beef industry call "barn blindness". Meaning, you cannot see how POORLY your cattle are doing, because you just see them as wonderful, friendly, sweet cows/pets.
For example: Your holstein steer, at 2 years old, should weight anywhere from 1500-1800#, IF FED PROPERLY all his life. He might weight 900#.
LOOK at your cattle, see their SPINE? See how the top of their butt dips in? See their ribs? You should NOT be able to see them. They are SKINNY.
Yes, they come running - they are hungry.
This is not unusual for people with new cattle. You have to learn to be critical about the appearance of your animals. It is a learning lesson.
Here's a link to a chart for Body Condition Scoring (BCS).
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/beef/400-795/photos1-9.html
Hope this helps you.

Latest posts