Help Support CattleToday:

How long ago did she calve? You might be able to supplement some extra feed or real good hay to the mama to help her production a little. The calf is probably getting enough stealing from others, but would it be interested if you tried a bottle or some calf starter to help it along?

I agree with @A.J. supplementing the cow some might help, especially if the cow is not in real good condition. I am usually concerned though if they are stealing milk from others. A lot of times its a particular cow that they can steal from, and that can affect her calf as well. If we have that situation, and the calf is real young, then most times we just take it and try to get it on a bottle, and cull the cow.

When did she calve? It's not unusual for first calf heifers to not produce much initially, but they should come into milk. And it's also possible her teats/udder are sore & she's kicking her calf off. Is the other cow also a first calf heifer? I'm not a fan of calves robbing off others unless they're a proven cow (previously raised very nice calves, good condition, etc.). Personally, I'd separate them from the others so they both get the attention they need (supplementing the dam & calf with a bottle, if necessary). And I'd also check the dams udder if the calf is going from teat to teat or if the calf still seems hungry after nursing.

How long ago did she calve? You might be able to supplement some extra feed or real good hay to the mama to help her production a little. The calf is probably getting enough stealing from others, but would it be interested if you tried a bottle or some calf starter to help it along?
The calf was born Oct. 5th. He's doing good. Mom is sucked down. She barely has a bag. What can I do for her?

The calf was born Oct. 5th. He's doing good. Mom is sucked down. She barely has a bag. What can I do for her?
Is she maintaining her body condition? You could put her up with some high quality hay and extra feed to give her a little boost. It probably won't make a noticeable difference with her milk, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Many times the younger ones like her can be low on the pecking order. If she's up, you would know she's getting the extra to eat.

In my herd, it is not unusual for calves to start robbing from others in the group at a couple weeks of age. even if their mom has enough milk to keep them growing good. If the calf looks healthy and growing good, I would not worry about it. Is the other cow that lets the calf nurse out of the same cow family? I have noticed that is not uncommon with my cows. How long ago did the non mom cow have her calf? Is she producing more milk than her calf can handle? the second cow may welcome the second calf just to empty her udder.

If the surrogate milk mom's calf is doing ok I wouldn't worry . Like the others said you might feed the real mom some extra groceries. I have cows that let 2-3 other calves nurse at different times and then they go back to their own mom and nurse . What's that saying ? It's takes a village to raise a child ; in this case it may take a herd to raise a calf . Might give her a second chance next year but I wouldn't give her a third ! 3 strikes and you're out ! Coachg

Latest posts