Low Grade Fever in 4 month old

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
One of our 4 month old heifers has been looking depressed and not gaining like the other heifers. She is not showing signs of any lung or digestive aliments. We wormed her with injectible wormer a couple of week ago hoping this would help. Today, we roped her and she had 102.8 temperature. Gave her 12 cc of Nuflor. She doesn't seem ill other than looking a little depressed. Any suggestion on what it could be or what we should try next? We will take her to the vet next Saturday or sooner if she doesn't improve.

first off, do you vaccinate you animals?
second what shape is the momma?

now how did you give the nuflor IM (48hrs) or SQ (72hrs?). Each has it's own time before redose. And you will need to redose. I would add an anti inflam to help relieve the fever.
I suspect some type of pnemonia. Hit this with several treatments. One is not enough. If there is not improvement after the second treatment, see your vet. That would be before Saturday!

If your heifer fought your rope very much her temperature may still be normal. Is her nose wet or dry? I've always been told 101.5-102.5 degrees is normal, plus a bit if she is worked up.

I always draw the line at 102.5 and if they show symptoms or we've been having trouble anything over 102 . You've already used Nuflor so check her again in 24 hrs, if she is lower and acts better you can stick with the Nuflor . If not I would switch to Draxxin, I would also give her a shot of Bovi-Shield 5 Gold and a repeat dose in 14 days .

Larry

Dam is vaccinated yearly and a recently retired show heifer (great condition). The calf hasn't had her vaccinations yet. Our vet prefers we wait until they are 4 months old. We were waiting until next week to vaccinate her when we hit the weaned calves with their boosters.

She didn't fight after she was roped. However, she was on the show road with her mom before she was turn out in the pasture (2 months ago). You can't walk up to her, but she knew she was caught when she was roped. We did IM the Nuflor and she didn't even jump or fight one bit.

I'll call the vet on Monday and see if I can get Draxxin or if he wants us to bring her in. Maybe, she will turn around soon.

Thanks for the replies.

Calf is still running a fever. Took her to a new vet after the old one added Draxxin which didn't help and he through in the towel.

New vet stated that she had congestion down low in her chest. He pulled blood and found that she has very few white blood cells.

The vet prescribed an immune system jumpstart shots, vitaman b-12, as well as A- 180 antibiotic. When we left, he stated that he hopes she has a will to live. I hope so. I'll let you know.

ffamom":iiek59xe said:
The vet prescribed an immune system jumpstart shots, vitaman b-12, as well as A- 180 antibiotic. When we left, he stated that he hopes she has a will to live. I hope so. I'll let you know.

What are the "immune system jumpstart shots"?

If we're talking about Immunoboost you'd better have epinephrine on hand.

Fever broke today (101.4 F). A-180 antibiotic must be some good stuff. Hopefully she is on the road to recovery.

Latest posts