Loud breathers

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
I have 2 yearling heifers that I bought from a neighbor ( out of my cows and bulls) mixed in with a group of 20 other yearlings. The 2 I bought are loud breathers. You can here them from 30 yards away sometimes. They are not laboring to breath, just noisy. No nasal discharge whatsoever. Other than the breathing they are perfectly normal. They come from a closed herd, so I'm hoping it is not IBR. But I have had trouble with it in the past, although not in a few years. Everything I raise gets vaccinated at 3-4 months, then again at weaning. The 2 with the problem didn't get any kind of shots till weaning. Should I be worried? Or can I turn them out with the others and forget about it?

Red Bull Breeder":9cujc8a8 said:
be nice. I have a few that breath loud never was sick a day in there life. Hot weather and fescue warms them up.
That would be a YUP.

What about shade?

Tbrake":3pclzkgo said:
I have 2 yearling heifers that I bought from a neighbor ( out of my cows and bulls) mixed in with a group of 20 other yearlings. The 2 I bought are loud breathers. You can here them from 30 yards away sometimes. They are not laboring to breath, just noisy. No nasal discharge whatsoever. Other than the breathing they are perfectly normal. They come from a closed herd, so I'm hoping it is not IBR. But I have had trouble with it in the past, although not in a few years. Everything I raise gets vaccinated at 3-4 months, then again at weaning. The 2 with the problem didn't get any kind of shots till weaning. Should I be worried? Or can I turn them out with the others and forget about it?
no open mouth breathing, no head hanging,coughing,probably not..what breed are they?

A lot of damaged lungs out there that were never treated and are not always obvious. The really baad ones show fatigue and open mouth breathing during hot weather. The not so baad ones grow slowly and have trouble putting on condition. If they grow normally I would not be worried.

Could also be as simple as a deformity in the wind pipe. Had a heifer like that a couple of years ago. Never seemed to be in distress but you could here her breathing from 50 feet away. The sound bothered me enough that we shipped her as a feeder. When we got the feeders/slaughter data on her she weighed and graded just like the other heifers in that shipment. We used to retain total or partial ownership so we got all of the data. Not only carcass but feed and medical.

They are gelvieh Hereford cross. Not sure what to expect out of them, never tried this combo before. They sure look nice now. I don't think it is a heat issue truck shows 58 degrees this morning, they are breathing the same as they were back in the 95+ we had a week ago. I will talk to the guy who raised them and see if they had any troubles as calves. It is unlikely because he usually calls me to doctor them.

I have a 6 month old calf that is doing the same. Never sick a day in it's life either. Calf eats fine and is growing nicely.

I thought allergies might play in to things also Red Bull Breeder.

This is intriguing because I have a 6 month old heifer I wanted to keep but was concerned about her heavy breathing - didn't keep one last year for the same reason. Zero other health issues and this one is one of the largest of all the calves this year, including steers. My plan was to go ahead & retain her but see what the vet thinks when he comes out to BANGS/pelvic measure.

Used to have an enormous Simm/Angus that always sounded like Darth Vador, didn't matter what time of year.

Latest posts