Lost marbles

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
My old cow Nelly calved yesterday evening... She's always nice, until she calves, then she's a psycho... totally loses her marbles
Well, there was a 5 day old calf there, and she absolutely wanted it, would go chasing it around, then her newborn would move, and she'd go running back.. what a show.. It was just "play time" too so the older calf was running around.. Finally I was able to keep him on one end and had Nelly take care of hers.. after a while she settled down

Big bull calf, 130ish lbs? Managed to grab him through the railings today and tag and band him, with a lot of objection from the other side

Nesikep":3tbtvlqe said:
sstterry":3tbtvlqe said:
130lb is a darn big calf!
she's a big darned cow too.. probably in the 1700 lb area
130 lbs is definitely a huge calf! But I'll see your 1700 & raise you 2090. Wide load coming thru!! Unfortunately she was 11 and didn't calve anything more than 80 lbs/raise anything more than 725 so she took a ride. Glad you got that big calf tagged without getting mauled!

Back in the late 60's and early 70's, my father started raising Registered Charolais (the first in our area). He bought a truckload of cows from Texas and one of the cows weighed well over 2,000 lbs. We always called her"Big Mamma" and we were especially cautious around her.
Of course one of those Texas cows was pretty high spirited and would not stay in (jumping and clearing 5-strand barbed wire). He eventually had to buy a dart gun and we darted her in a neighbour's field about 2 miles away and winched her onto a trailer.

I have no scales to know her exact weight, I just know she's a big one.. She settles down after a day or two and goes back to a sucker for attention.. As long as she does it all herself it's alright, but if she ever needs help, it'll be a pain in the arse

The old cow that we had shoulder mounted was the same way. She had me down a time or two, but I see you have the same arsenal for retaliation that I used...... A square body Chevy.

Hell of a pretty view you have there.

Latest posts