Lost Eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Has the eye been removed? If not maybe have it removed and lids sutured together. A ruptured eye in the socket may be susceptible to flystrike.

Ken

Get a vet out there and have him give you a good idea on what to do. Not much we can tell you without seeing what shape the eye is really in.

It is really bad. She doesn't seem to be hurting and she is an old cow, but has raised me several calves and I hate to just get rid of her. I was working away from home and was unable to tend to her at the time.

garseer said:
It is really bad. She doesn't seem to be hurting and she is an old cow, but has raised me several calves and I hate to just get rid of her. I was working away from home and was unable to tend to her at the time.

Cows are prey animals. So that means even if they are in pain they will typically hide it from you so they don't look weak. That's why many cows go from good to dead within a matter of days. A bad eye causes inflammation in the head. It can cause infection and actually also effect her eye sight in her other eye. Best thing to do is have the eye removed. Eye removal is really fast and easy. May not seem it but it is.

Not a good situation. Being old she is probably not worth having a vet remove the eye but then again she won't bring anything at the sale barn because they packer buyers will fear she has cancer eye. If she is bred I would calve her out and let her raise the calf as long as she could then euthanize her.

Without seeing her, I'd be inclined to agree with Kenny's assessment e.g. Cancer eye. If so, she's likely on borrowed time and the possibility of condemnation is high.

Latest posts