Lost a lamb-need a livestock guardian dog. :(

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
Many will probably question why I didnt get some sort of guardian when I first got my sheep..I felt my fences were quite good (5 foot no climb with pipe toprail)..my dogs couldnt even get in..

Well, something DID last weekend..I am going with coyote or bobcat, and it ate my son's market lamb..and tore my ram up real good....

I am bringing them in at night now, but I am now considering that I probably do need to get some sort of guardian for my sheep..specificaly a dog.

I am in Texas..can anyone direct me to anyone in this "general" area who might have LGD's? I've cruised craigslist with minimal success (found a great dog, but she was already rehomed by the time I got in touch with the owners.., googled, again, minimal success.

as for breed..I am open..I honestly havent seen any huge red signs on any of the standard breeds used for LGD's that say I SHOULDNT get that particular breed..if I wanted to be picky, I could say I like the way a Great Pyr "looks"..but it's ability to protect my flock and at least be "cordial" to being handled (as it would have to be handled to be put up when I work my BC on the sheep) are of utmost importance.

Anything you feel I am missing here..please, dont hesitate to let me know..

I want no hayburners TT..:)

I've had afew offers of donkeys from people..kibble is easier to get then hay..

thanks though.

That is a great price for Pyrenees from working parents Slick, they start around 500 each here for pups.

I would try one or even 2 Pyrenees Spin, they are gentle giants around livestock and most importantly people and children but are very fierce against predators .Once you have them kennel trained it should be no problem to kennel them while your BC works the flock.

thank you! I emailed them, hope to hear back..

Hill, I think I am leaning towards a pyr..I think I'd even got pyr/ant too..temperment is a BIG thing and the pyr's seem to have pretty laid back ones.

Let us know , and make sure you post pics too .

Here is a pic of my sisters new pup she is 3/4 Pyrenees 1/4 Golden Retriever and really laid back, she is now 3 months old and already is protective of the kids .
263231_10150336890887037_623402036_10204258_203284_n.jpg

This is her Pyrenees Dad ,both the parents are working LGD's of a sheep herd .
251484_10150336890437037_623402036_10204254_4369582_n.jpg

I am thinking of getting a LDG as a strictly outdoor dog . Since we lost Bo the coyotes have no respect anymore around the calving pasture, as well as there is no one to keep strangers from getting out of their vehicles ;-) Never really new just how much Bo and Steffie did around here until they were gone. :( I just don't know if we can handle 4 dogs though as we are getting another BC pup next year too. This place will be a zoo again on no time . :lol:

Why not get on of those little Alpackies like Keren has. He[[ the looks alone would scare off most varmints. Besides i'd sure rather step in Alpackie poop that the piles those pyrenees leave. ;-) :nod: :nod: :nod:

We just brushed them out. The show Komondors look like a rag mop. In the summers, we would have their hair cut
off except for the head and tail. They are very protective and would get as close to the baby calves as the moms
would allow. We don't have any now; but I do love the breed.

3waycross":ziz1qur4 said:
Why not get on of those little Alpackies like Keren has. He[[ the looks alone would scare off most varmints. Besides i'd sure rather step in Alpackie poop that the piles those pyrenees leave. ;-) :nod: :nod: :nod:

3way have you ever seen a PILE of Alpaca poop ? It is HUGE !!! They poop in the same spot until it gets too big and then they move to another. Some piles can be a foot high and 3 feet wide .. :lol:

hillsdown":5facg8bf said:
3waycross":5facg8bf said:

3way have you ever seen a PILE of Alpaca poop ? It is HUGE !!! They poop in the same spot until it gets too big and then they move to another. Some piles can be a foot high and 3 feet wide .. :lol:

So can some of those big dogs Hillsdown!

You can work the herding dogs with a guard dog-- just have to introduce them as part of their family just like you, the sheep and the family.
it won't stop them from running off dogs that aren't supposed to be there.

hillsdown":3kerqkr9 said:
That is a great price for Pyrenees from working parents Slick, they start around 500 each here for pups.

I would try one or even 2 Pyrenees Spin, they are gentle giants around livestock and most importantly people and children but are very fierce against predators .Once you have them kennel trained it should be no problem to kennel them while your BC works the flock.
We've used the Pyrenees for years and love them. But like you said you'll have to keep them up while using your BC etc. They will allow other dogs around that they are familar with but WILL be the dominant dog and WILL occasionally remind the others that they are dominant. they do tend to be a little "possessive" and will even consider "you" as part of the herd and not let the others get close. I prefer females to the males tho. The guarding is a natural thing and ours have always slept and lived out with the cows with the occasional visit to the house to eat....get along great with children too.

Watching one chase down a coyote and kill it is better entertainment than the horse races. Come to think of it they could probably outrun a horse for a while anyway. We shear ours in the late spring because of the heat and they look like greyhounds.

thanks everyone..I am leaning towards a Pyr..a female..

I got to remembering, I took my BC's to a trainer up in Oklahoma back earlier this year..he had a big pyr female..whom he had trained to NOT go into the kennels where he kept the dogs he was training..she was very cordial with our "Strange" dogs..until my one dog tried to venture into the kennels..that pyr was at the entrance in a minute and told her, basically in just body language "you DO NOT belong in there."..LOL

now to FIND one!

Spin we also had a Rotweiller female...the Pryenees was so dominant over her she eventually went to live with the neighbor down the road. :lol2: