Lost a calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Don't know why or how. Found it still born it seems. Cleaned by the dam but dead as all get out.

I was on a roll. Something like 37 in a row without a loss. I was due. Still hate it tho.

Sorry to hear that Boogie. Never fun. I wonder if it had been born back feet first and the cord broke long before the front end got out.

I hope the rest are uneventful.

Katherine

Sorry to hear that, Boogie. Been there, too, and it just sucks. Few years ago found one of my best cows cleaning off her new calf and could tell it was dead then. Got there just after the birth so didn't see what happened. That cow never had another calf, and she was still open after 2 tries to breed her back. Had to sell her. Hope yours turns out better.

backhoeboogie":xcs3wrk9 said:
Don't know why or how. Found it still born it seems. Cleaned by the dam but dead as all get out.

I was on a roll. Something like 37 in a row without a loss. I was due. Still hate it tho.
I feel your pain. I've lost 5. 4 of em while trying to save em. Thank God I've only got 30 more to go. If I don't improve he might take my cows.

Losses cut into the profit margins. You do all you can to save 'em but you cannot save 'em all.

backhoeboogie":2iv466u7 said:

Well Boogie, I don't feel so bad now. I lost my first one last night. I too, found him dead...cleaned up by mama....and with mama laying beside him. NICE looking PB Simmy bull calf by Fat Butt (Cut Above). My first loss in a while, even though I've had to pull a couple..

David

backhoeboogie":2y6i5wgu said:

Well Boogie, I don't feel so bad now. I lost my first one last night. I too, found him dead...cleaned up by mama....and with mama laying beside him. NICE looking PB Simmy bull calf by Fat Butt (Cut Above). My first loss in a while, even though I've had to pull a couple..

David

Spoke too soon. Had one DOA this morning. Legs weren't lined up right, stuck too long. Maybe if momma had help at 4 am things could have been different... too bad they don't tell you when to come and check in on them. :(

Latest posts