Lost a calf, teats too big?

Help Support CattleToday:

cybertyger

Reaction score
First time poster.

Grew up on a farm. been a way from it many years. Got a few cows now. Had a calf, drove up to it, cow ran off with it. I noticed her udder was big and her teats were huge. Since the calf ran off with her, I figured he was at least sucking one but I was concenred.

Will a cow get too sore to let the calf suck? She did not have problems with her last two calves.

Woud appreciate any insight. BTW, did not find the calf and saw a coyote in the field.

cybertyger":82560gs8 said:
First time poster.

Grew up on a farm. been a way from it many years. Got a few cows now. Had a calf, drove up to it, cow ran off with it. I noticed her udder was big and her teats were huge. Since the calf ran off with her, I figured he was at least sucking one but I was concenred.

Will a cow get too sore to let the calf suck? She did not have problems with her last two calves.

Woud appreciate any insight. BTW, did not find the calf and saw a coyote in the field.

They will be worse on the next calf. Keeping cull cows this is what you get. Bell teated cows are good for one thing Hormel chili. You should have penned the cow and milked her down.
A 500 dollar lesson for you and a slow death for the calf.

Well, feel pretty disgusted about it.

This cows udder looks normal when she is dry and like I said, had no problems previously. Appreciate the reply, though.

there is also a real good chance her off spring will develope this as well. And yes each year it gets worse, just like CB said.

We had a cow, still have her and the first few years her bag was nice angus like. Two years ago her bag "blew" the teats and the bag look one in the same. She was to hit the road after weaning, but other animals were first in line. this year she is first in line. We kept a heifer from her to see if her bag would end up like this. She had her first calf and the bag looked alright. but upon a closer indepth look she will have the same problem within two years.

That is one of the things that I've worked very hard on in my cow herd., udders,
Those big udders and big teats are the worst thing to have in a cow herd. You may have to save the calf by bottle feeding it.
Get rid of the cow ASAP. And even in young cows, when they calve, if udders are large and big teats, don't keep them around, has nothing to do with milk quantities, but has a lot to do with
future PROBLEMS!

It amazes me sometimes how these bottle teats develope between lactations. I have a cow that is due in a week with her 3rd calf, on her previous 2 lactations her teats were normal size for a beef cow. Now that she is bagging up the one front teat looks like it will become a bottle teat soon. Don't know why the sudden change since she had been dry for 6 months.

I've had a few get teats like that after two or three calves. It's funny how it just shows up. I have kept a couple heifers out of those cows from before the teats got big and I have had no problem with them and they are going onto their 5th calf this spring.

Might not be what CB would have done, but these cows seem to do good and their few daughters I have in production have great udders. It's amazing how you can change things when you pay attention to the bulls you use and have the chance to views the cows the bulls are from.

I had one last year that developed a ballon teat. I shipped her on out. Hated to do that because she was a good cow in all other score areas but it looked like more future trouble.

Another good reason for Brahmas.

They'll suck if the teat is as big as a basketball! :lol:

Latest posts