losing livestock to severe weather ?

Help Support CattleToday:

onecowfarms

Reaction score
has anyone lost livestock due to severe weather like tornados ,lighting etc ?

weve lost cattle to lightning.but its just been 3 or 4 hd over 36yrs.ive got a friend that has lost 12hd at once from a lightning strike.

It happens.
My neighbor lost 12 cows and my bull under a sycamore tree. That was 35 yrs ago.
I will lose a cow every two or three years to lightning. It isn't uncommon.

just wondered what the %is across the united states . will livestock seek cover do they sense it ?

onecowfarms":1uvn7uc0 said:
just wondered what the %is across the united states . will livestock seek cover do they sense it ?

Cattle will seek shelter from the rain under trees, the trees attract lightning. No idea what the loss % would be. Several head/yr is my best guess.

Lost a calf in '95 a cow in '99 and another cow just this spring. That is all we have lost so far to lighting.

We lost two back in the 70's.

We have had tractors hit twice. I think that is more expensive than losing a cow.

Talk to those guys down in Cameron, LA. Some lost whole herds (hundreds) due to the storm surge of Hurricane Rita.

Had a friend that lost about 50 pair in a forest fire last summer does that count? The fire was moving so fast it out ran everything, burned something like 2500 acres in an hour. I had my water tender up there, I was hooked up to an engine at the foot of the fire. From where I was at the smoke looked like a big thunder head.The BLM and Forest Service were luck not to have anyone burned over.

Some of my neighbors lost cattle in the flood in December. Up stream some place that had never flooded before got 5 or 6 feet of water. A friend who has a dairy got all his milk cows hauled off ahead of the water but couldn't get back in to get the heifers so he lost all of them.

Had a cow abort a month and ahalf early during last years ice strom

gerardplauche":3qa94gxk said:
Talk to those guys down in Cameron, LA. Some lost whole herds (hundreds) due to the storm surge of Hurricane Rita.
read a artical in the angus bulletin,were a rancher lost 1800 out of around 1900 head in katrina. can't even imagine having that many let alone lose'in em.

Lost a few calves in a flood in 05. During our cold snap last week there was a person 30 or so miles from us that had a 10 year old cow freeze to death.

onecowfarms":1jn7x76d said:
i think they do sense tornadoes and high winds. One year a real bad storm whipped around us, and it was the freakiest thing, they were out in pasture, and it got real dark, and they all stopped dead in their tracks and looked up into the sky.

I've had maybe 2-3 cows get hit by lightening overhte years, and none of them were under trees.

GMN

Latest posts