loosing hair

Help Support CattleToday:

grand chaser09

Reaction score
both of the steers at the house have been loosing their leg hair. its like its breaking off. and its only "disappearing" form the knee and under the hock down. anything else i could do to grow it back. i put a linement and zoom bloom mix on thier legs tonight. any tips??

grand chaser09":5rw3vq4p said:
both of the steers at the house have been loosing their leg hair. its like its breaking off. and its only "disappearing" form the knee and under the hock down. anything else i could do to grow it back. i put a linement and zoom bloom mix on thier legs tonight. any tips??

I have learned that zoom bloom and especially linemet should always be washed/rinsed out. The only thing the liniment is going to do is chill the skin and make the hair stand up. Never leave those in the hair. Try something like kleen sheen rag oil mix, pink oil, or revive. And also brush with a rice root or red scrub brush while the hair is wet.

well im washing him tomorrow so ill be sure to get it out. i knew about kleen sheen but we ran out [stoy of my life!] and ill dig up some revive or freshen up tomorrow and brush it in. and ive always brushed his legs with a rice root. thanks for the tips

Have you been leaving in any adhesives or something that requires washing out? Lots of stuff that makes the hair pop or whatever needs to be washed out soon after putting it on. I wouldn't know, never had this happen, so its just a guess.

What size are your calves, sounds like the hair is rubbing off. Usually happens as they get bigger. Hair rubs off the points that make contact with the ground as they lie down or get up. What bedding are you using and what type of soil is in their pen? If it is a gravel or packed DG type it will tend to wear the hair off.

one is about 750 and the other should be pushing 820. but i think it would be from the way they lay down. i noticed my steer scrubbs his knee[only one] on the ground as he lays down. i think thaat is whats doign it. i've been putting revive in it everyday and brushing it alot.
has anyone ever heard of useing vasaline?? some one told me it would mosturise the skin and stay on it longer and help the hair grow back. has anyone ever used this?
and they haven't been to any shows so it can't be adhesive. but the dirt in thier pen is like playground sand.

I have found that sand is tough on the hair, good for the legs and joints, not for the hair. It gets in under the hair and is tough to get out. Try putting bedding down in the area they tend to lay in it might help.
I have also found that the Corona Ointment or Bag Balm, works real well for the dry skin; it is medicated and made for cattle. I use it for scrapes, ring worm, and other dry areas. Works real well on show hogs, really helps give them that smooth healthy skin look.

Latest posts