loose trace mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

farmgrl09

Reaction score
Im was wondering if I need to be feeding loose mineral to my show heifers and my show steer? They are both getting a show mix and hay right now. If they do get it should it be free choice, is a mineral block better than loose mineral?

dont bother with the blocks they wont do much if the show mix is a complete ration you shouldnt need mineral

I recommend you ALWAYS keep out a "QUALITY" loose mineral. Mineral blocks are worthless. You don't want a salt block either. They will cause reduced consumption of a loose mineral. Concerning mineral, quality means high priced. Don't waste your money on cheap mineral.

We use Vitafirm SureChamp mineral. It's pelleted and used as a top dress. A bit pricey but well worth it. After you start feeding a mineral, you will be able to see a change in the way your cattle look and eat.

IF they need it. No need to force feed something to an animal that they don't need and that is going to pass right thru them. If you're feeding a well balanced show calf feed it should have all the mineral the animal should need especially if the calf is eating 20 lbs. or more but a coffee can full of good mineral free choice all the time won't hurt anything. If the calf needs the mineral he/she will eat it.........Best of luck.

Latest posts