Looking forward to 2014

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I've been breeding Arabians for more than 10 years now. I can't keep still; like an excited kid. I have my prized mare, a very large (for an Arabian) right under 16hh chestnut, at my buddies Arabian farm to have her bred to a champion Arabian. Just got lucky, and my buddy owed me a favor, so I get a very cheap breeding to a super high quality stallion. I've done so much background pedigree research, this stallion should produce what I've been trying to make for 10 years now....An Arabian that has mass, but refined points (pointed ears, big eyes, high tail carriage, short back, small muzzle, big jaw). Now I can only hope for a filly :)

I have always enjoyed looking at Arabians. I've even read up on the breed a few times over the years, their history is very interesting btw. I have always had quarter horses to use, and saddle mules to trail ride. What got you into Arabians?

Bigfoot":186jn3nu said:
I have always enjoyed looking at Arabians. I've even read up on the breed a few times over the years, their history is very interesting btw. I have always had quarter horses to use, and saddle mules to trail ride. What got you into Arabians?

Hey Bigfoot,

Ever since I was a kid, I've always liked the way Arabians look. Something about their tail carriage, small ears, big eyes, big jaw...etc has always caught my eye. I appreciate all horses, but I've come to really like the Arabian. When I had the means, I was lucky enough to meet a mentor who taught (still does) me a ton about pedigrees, breeding and the different strains of Arabians. I think the most important thing he instilled in me is quality over quantity (1 good horse beats 50 bad horses) I started by buying (on time, lol) from him one mare. That mare's first foal was a chestnut filly that was born about 4:00 a.m. with me standing and watching. All of the horses I now have have fairly rare Arabian blood; they can all be traced back to the Egyptian desert - a stallion named Barq born in 1832. The before mentioned filly is the now 9 year old mare that I just picked up last night from stud. Here's a pic of her about 5 years ago of her running through one of my pastures.

Total eye candy there Cypress! You always have pics of the nicest looking horses. I too have a "thang" for Arabians, dish nose, slight frame, endurance. It's on my bucket list to own one someday. Since I'm aging rapidly I need to git on that project.

That is a good looking horse cypress. I'll admit I've never been particularly fond of Arabian, although I do own one. I live 2 miles from this place, http://www.ansata.com/ , and spent some time there as a teenager. I guess I formed this opinion that Arabians were high maintenance. Maybe because their barn was nicer than my house. You really sound excited about this, and I am happy for you and wish you the best.

Cypress, what type of Arabs do you have? I use to have a nice Polish Arab many years ago, he went about 15.1 hands. Nice looking mare!

Alan

Alan":70bhp85j said:
Cypress, what type of Arabs do you have? I use to have a nice Polish Arab many years ago, he went about 15.1 hands. Nice looking mare!

Alan

Alan,

Mine are mostly Egyptian blood (with Babson and ansata influence). I do have a small Spanish blood content. The Spanish blood gives me the mass I like. I like a pretty Arabian with the normal points (big eyes, short tippy ears, big jaw (jibbah), high tail carriage, short back) etc, but with some size/mass to it. But most Egyptian Arabians are on the smaller side. The mare pictured above is 25% Spanish blood - she's close to 16hh and almost as wide as a QH, and that's as much as I will go. I like to have enough Spanish to produce the mass, but an overwhelming amount of Egyptian to produce the "pretty"...

By the way, true Polish Arabians are very beautiful, but most were lost in WWII with Hitler exterminating them. Before WWII, the Polish stud was world famous, and right fully so - they had some extremely high caliber Arabians.

Ouachita":2j98pm3h said:
That is a good looking horse cypress. I'll admit I've never been particularly fond of Arabian, although I do own one. I live 2 miles from this place, http://www.ansata.com/ , and spent some time there as a teenager. I guess I formed this opinion that Arabians were high maintenance. Maybe because their barn was nicer than my house. You really sound excited about this, and I am happy for you and wish you the best.

Oachita,

Ansata Arabians are some very fine horses. They can all be traced back to a very knowledgable woman named Judith Forbes. This woman knew her stuff and imported some of the finest blood. (Egyptian Arabians). Over time she's had many many great horses. My favorite was the stud Ansata Ibn Halima - to which all of my horses can be traced !

MistyMorning":1ac0atin said:
Total eye candy there Cypress! You always have pics of the nicest looking horses. I too have a "thang" for Arabians, dish nose, slight frame, endurance. It's on my bucket list to own one someday. Since I'm aging rapidly I need to git on that project.

Hey Misty,

I have the perfect colt for you, lol. I just started working with him. (See other post). I sell most of my Arabians really really cheap, and on time. Once I was lucky enough to have a few mares, I realized that only well to do people could enjoy these beautiful animals; so I purposely sell foals very cheap to NON BREEDERS, preferably families that want a good all around horse.

Judith Forbes, and husband Don happened to be the owners of the place down the road from me (the link I posted). Don passed away a couple years ago.

Ouachita":20ytyq2p said:
Judith Forbes, and husband Don happened to be the owners of the place down the road from me (the link I posted). Don passed away a couple years ago.

Yep, They (especially Judith) are WORLD FAMOUS in the Arabian horse world. They are very well respected around the globe (as they should be), even in Arabic countries. I would love to meet her and talk horses. My mentor has before....

Ouachita":t22wndxe said:
So you want me to get you hooked up?

Hmmm,

I don't think "hooked up" would be the appropriate term, but I would love to meet her. She imported Arabians way back into the USA. The US is now known for having the world's best Arabians - mostly from pioneers like her. When Arabian people look at a pedigree, and see Ansata, it brings a certain prestige to that pedigree. Like I had said, all of my horses have Ansata Ibn Halima in their pedigree; it's only through her hard work in the past that has made Ansata the name everyone recognizes for quality.......

Your mare is lovely. Although I own AQHA and APHA horses, I have a fondness for Arabians. I also like the Polish. Your mare is exceptional. I hope that you get what you want!

chippie":16dtfwqc said:
Your mare is lovely. Although I own AQHA and APHA horses, I have a fondness for Arabians. I also like the Polish. Your mare is exceptional. I hope that you get what you want!

Thanks Chippie!

This was that chestnut at two weeks aside her flea bitten mother:

This was that same mares first filly:

This is the stallion that she was just bred to:

cypressfarms":39vlki2p said:
MistyMorning":39vlki2p said:

Hey Misty,

I have the perfect colt for you, lol. I just started working with him. (See other post). I sell most of my Arabians really really cheap, and on time. Once I was lucky enough to have a few mares, I realized that only well to do people could enjoy these beautiful animals; so I purposely sell foals very cheap to NON BREEDERS, preferably families that want a good all around horse.

Do we need to continue this conversation in private? :nod: :lol2: I want a filly, I have 2 mares and don't think a boy would fit in well with these two. I never and I mean never want to breed as I leave that business to those that know what they are doing. I only want a good, no, great trail horse and I saw a couple of Arabians out in Medora a few years ago, they went all day and I mean 8 hours, got up and did it again for 6 days straight. Amazing.......

MistyMorning":2orc5z75 said:
cypressfarms":2orc5z75 said:
MistyMorning":2orc5z75 said:

Hey Misty,

Do we need to continue this conversation in private? :nod: :lol2: I want a filly, I have 2 mares and don't think a boy would fit in well with these two. I never and I mean never want to breed as I leave that business to those that know what they are doing. I only want a good, no, great trail horse and I saw a couple of Arabians out in Medora a few years ago, they went all day and I mean 8 hours, got up and did it again for 6 days straight. Amazing.......

That's funny Misty, I don't think we need privacy yet :) This young colt will be gelded, as I own his sire, so I can reproduce another similar to him if I want to. I will agree with your assessment of an Arabians stamina. There is NO COMPARISON. An Arabian will out work, out run, out almost anything any other horse. There is a reason that virtually every light breed in existence today has Arabian blood in it. The is a reason that certain breeds still keep their books open to Arabians (example ; if you breed an Appaloosa to an Arabian and the resulting baby has one of the six acceptable coat variations, it can be registered as a 100% App. - although technically it's a half arab) Breeds have been doing this for years, including Arabian blood to refine or get certain wanted traits. Although the Arabian is considered the jack of all trades, it is the master of endurance. There is no other horse that even comes close to an Arabians ability to travel long distances and quickly. Forget Hidalgo, Hollywood fodder, you will never make me believe that a mustang paint could even come close to keeping up to purebred Arabians from the deserts. Yeah, I think I like Arabians......

Latest posts