Looking for semen

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
All,

I have a 4 year old registered black Angus cow that had been bred to Final Answer when I bought her but didn't stick as confirmed by the vet on Wednesday. I plan to AI her to either a black Angus or polled Hereford bull in the next few weeks. If I breed her to a Hereford bull I'll only use sexed semen to ensure I get a heifer. Below are her EPDs so please chime in with some suggestions as to which bulls I should use. Thanks in advance for all your help.

CED +9 .19
BEPD -1.4 .34
WEPD +31 .22
YEPD +55 .16
MILK +20 .17
MARB +.07
RE +.21

What do you want to do with the resulting calf? Also what semen company do you have reps available for around you? I'd look for a bull with higher WW and better carcass values without getting too big on the BW/ CED. But there are lots out there like that so help us narrow it down some.
Aprille

not sure what your looking to do but the 24J bull 13360311 chuckie mentioned in the funnel butted thread is a cow maker seen a few calves out of him there pretty good. that's just one of many out there. I don't think id use sexed semen on a 4 yr old the percentage drops a lot on the sexed semen and its usually 2x the price and not sure you could buy just 1 straw.

If you go angus I have heard good things about confidence and prophet at select sires but find out what reps are around you and what stud you will be using. Then I and others have give some more specific reccomendations on bulls. Sorry the final answer didn't stick. I don't think you can get a more consistent and excellent bull than final answer. Just my two cents.

ResizedImage_1373645139892.jpg

Here is the Angus cow I'm looking to buy semen for. The calf in front of her is the heifer she had this spring. Let me know what you think.

Knersie,

That was my initial thought but seeing how I only have one to breed and I currently don't have any semen I thought it might be best to try and find someone who would breed her for me that already has some semen in a tank (A Semen rep perhaps). Buying 5 or 10 straws for one cow makes for a pricey AI bill. I know the semen will keep forever. She is a smaller frame cow and I thought I might try to breed her to something that would put some size on the calf. Would you consider Final Answer as a bull that would accomplish that?

tnwalkingred":11t3l13p said:
Knersie,

That was my initial thought but seeing how I only have one to breed and I currently don't have any semen I thought it might be best to try and find someone who would breed her for me that already has some semen in a tank (A Semen rep perhaps). Buying 5 or 10 straws for one cow makes for a pricey AI bill. I know the semen will keep forever. She is a smaller frame cow and I thought I might try to breed her to something that would put some size on the calf. Would you consider Final Answer as a bull that would accomplish that?

The Final Answer progeny I have is very moderate, but they are made right and that tell for a lot more than size.

Latest posts