looking for iron sights

Help Support CattleToday:

tsmaxx47

Reaction score
i've been looking for a .308 or any similar calibre rifle with iron sights. i would seldom be in a situation where a target would present itself beyond 200 yards and i can't see the need for optics at that short a distance. only problem - all of the rifles i've researched don't come with iron sights. am i out of luck for a new gun? if that's the case, i'll start doing the gun show circuit, but i can't believe there isn't a company out there that makes what i'm looking for.......... :help:

What about a browning BLR in 308? Also didn't Ruger just come out with a bolt action 308 with an extended clip similar to the ranch rifle?Remington had the CDL or model seven in 308 that had sights?
Have you searched on gunbroker.com?
I've been thinking about buying a lever action 30-30 to carry behind the seat of the truck,I would like to have a winchester 9422 mag but those guns are high $$$ now.

ousoonerfan22":3cuc8kzv said:
What about a browning BLR in 308? Also didn't Ruger just come out with a bolt action 308 with an extended clip similar to the ranch rifle?Remington had the CDL or model seven in 308 that had sights?
Have you searched on gunbroker.com?
I've been thinking about buying a lever action 30-30 to carry behind the seat of the truck,I would like to have a winchester 9422 mag but those guns are high $$$ now.

i had a browning medallion in .308 on order but it didn't come with iron sights.

Look at the older rifles. I have a Rem 700 from early production and it came with iron sights. Any decent gunsmith can drill and tap a rifle and add them. Browenells has a pretty good line of iron sights including peeps.

Just wait a few years. If you're like me, you will no longer be able to see that back sight anyway.

Over 50 yards I need a scope . My eyes site is 20 / 20 with both open if I shut one it's a different story .

you should learn to shoot with both open if ya can..it aint easy a first but its being taught alot that way lately...

tsmaxx47":3qtahuks said:
i've been looking for a .308 or any similar calibre rifle with iron sights. i would seldom be in a situation where a target would present itself beyond 200 yards and i can't see the need for optics at that short a distance. only problem - all of the rifles i've researched don't come with iron sights. am i out of luck for a new gun? if that's the case, i'll start doing the gun show circuit, but i can't believe there isn't a company out there that makes what i'm looking for.......... :help:

Look for a Savage Model 99.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =282828263

I recently replaced my peep sight with a scope as my eyes are no longer able to focus on the front sight & the target I mention this to a couple of people and was told it just getting old and iron sight are for young guys

bs..yer focus should be on the front sight anyways..i wear glasses to see close and contacts all the time..i shoot iron sights. yesterday i was shooting water bottles..16 oz plastic at 200 yds free standing with only a sling..30-30 336 marlin with 175 gr. iron sights. first time i shot the new rifle..new to me anyways...i had to adjust the rear sight but in 6 rds a iwas hitting a milk jug and in 6 more i blowing the little bottles to pieces..
gary

The view that have open iron sights that woulnd;t look right with a scope have all been switched to peeps, and my eyes are old and terrible. I almost have to have glasses on in order to find my glasses.

IN a new gun for me it would have to be a browning blr. or in somthing older a savage model 99. I don't know what kind of area you hunt but around here being able to pick out a clean shot through the brush is more important than the distance on why i like to have a scope. but i somtimes like to hunt with opent sights for fun.

denvermartinfarms":4j4rcqvg said:
IN a new gun for me it would have to be a browning blr. or in somthing older a savage model 99. I don't know what kind of area you hunt but around here being able to pick out a clean shot through the brush is more important than the distance on why i like to have a scope. but i somtimes like to hunt with opent sights for fun.

I am with Dun. The model 99 is an outstanding rifle scoped or iron sights. HOWEVER be advised it is a kicker in 308.

3way, I grew up shooting a 358 win. in a model 99. It also kicked hard shooting them old super-x silvertips.

highgrit":1sr3moxe said:
3way, I grew up shooting a 358 win. in a model 99. It also kicked hard shooting them old super-x silvertips.

WOW! it's a wonder you got a lick of sense being kicked around by that thing :tiphat:

You can still buy a new Remington BDL with iron sights, but you will certainly pay for it. One of my favorite rifles is a Browning BLR that i removed the factory rear sight and installed a Williams rear sight on the rear scope mount, that little .243 is deadly to 300 with those irons, it seems to just want to shoot! The Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle is close to a perfect ranch rifle to me, chambered in .308 with a detachable box mag, scout style scope mounts and good factory iron sights it would be about ideal for most things the average guy might need a rifle for. Savage still makes a variation of their 110 bolt rifle that comes with stock iron sights, that would be your cheapest option i would bet.

Latest posts