Looking for a idea for spreading straw

Help Support CattleToday:

OutdoorFarmer

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. I have a small cattle operation of about 60 head of cattle which I calve out during the winter. For years, we bedded down our cows by hand or by leaving a straw bale on the bed for the cows to spread around. It was all fine and dandy when I was a young buck but now that I'm getting older and have health issues, I need to find a low cost way of spreading the straw. Like I said before, I have tried just setting the bale out for the cows to do it but I find they end up either leaving majority of the bale in that spot without spreading or rolling it off the bedding area all together. So I still end up manually spreading the straw anyways. I was hoping that someone might have a idea or invention that could help me out. Right now a bale shredder is not in the cards due to cost factors plus I don't have a second tractor to operate it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

I've herd and seen a few guys put bales in there apron chain manure spreader to spread them around. Me personally I just do it by hand for now

We bed with round bales of corn stalks or straw. We set the bale down minus the wrap and then use the bale spear on the loader to peel 4-6" layer off then pick the bale up back up a few feet and repeat . We cover most of a 30' x 100' shed with one 68" bale. The cattle spread it even more.

Hardnosecattleco said:
I've herd and seen a few guys put bales in there apron chain manure spreader to spread them around. Me personally I just do it by hand for now

I might have to try that with a manure spreader. The reason I want to get away from dong it by hand is that I have a heart condition and my parents are up there in age.

SBMF 2015 said:
We bed with round bales of corn stalks or straw. We set the bale down minus the wrap and then use the bale spear on the loader to peel 4-6" layer off then pick the bale up back up a few feet and repeat . We cover most of a 30' x 100' shed with one 68" bale. The cattle spread it even more.

I have tried doing that but with the way our bale forks are, its extremely difficult to peel layers off without destroying the bale right there. Thanks for the suggestion though. I appreciate it

OutdoorFarmer said:
Hardnosecattleco said:

I might have to try that with a manure spreader. The reason I want to get away from dong it by hand is that I have a heart condition and my parents are up there in age.

Right I hear ya hopefully it works for ya just shouting out ideas to ya is all

Ebenezer said:
After you get a bale busted up go over it with a bushhog.

Not sure if that will work in the winter. It would grab the frozen cow lumps and throw them everywhere.

OutdoorFarmer said:
SBMF 2015 said:

I have tried doing that but with the way our bale forks are, its extremely difficult to peel layers off without destroying the bale right there. Thanks for the suggestion though. I appreciate it

Destroy it then.....even better.

Then use a rake on the tractor or even front forks or fel to move it around.....