Looking for a feature on a headgate.

Help Support CattleToday:

ryan_289

Reaction score
I getting ready to buy a headgate for a new lease. The chute at our farm had the swinging type automatic headgate on it. Its so old I dont know what brand it is. What im looking for is the same type but I want it to swing all the way in and out like our old one does. Ive looked at a powder river and it only swings in just a little bit. Can anyone tell me which brands will swing all the way in both directions?

Be careful about a Filson, the ones I have seen only open back only partially, and I have seen a cow jump into the opening, pinning herself. She can't move forward(her hips catch) or backwards(her ribs catch), a cutting torch was the solution. These are the headcatch alone that attaches to the front or end of the chute.

My Filson opens fully in both directions. It is on the end of a portable chute, coral, etc. The only time I use this whole unit is when I have to set up working facilities at some locale with no facilities - and it sure beats having nothing. Many times I just use the medina gate section and not the chute and gate. It depends on what is to be dealt with.

Cows can get trapped or go down in any unit. We have had to pull one out of a $30K hydraulic unit and if there hadn't been so many of us there, there would have been a dead cow to deal with.

Question: How and why have an "AUTOMATIC" (=self catch?) headgate that opens all the way in? The way my For-most works is that it has to catch the shoulders to latch. To release it does open all the way out (fully used to release my bull). The in limit is adjustable but as pointed out above, full opening in can cause problems. If you want a full open then why not use a manual scissors type rather than a swinging self catch?

Jim

It cost $100 is the short answer. It goes on a portable unit that is only used in an emergency - and it is effective. It will also catch them in both directions.

A squeeze is the way to go for most everything. But if I could buy this one for $100 again, I'd do it - for emergencies.

SRBeef":25ikffxu said:
Question: How and why have an "AUTOMATIC" (=self catch?) headgate that opens all the way in? The way my For-most works is that it has to catch the shoulders to latch. To release it does open all the way out (fully used to release my bull). The in limit is adjustable but as pointed out above, full opening in can cause problems. If you want a full open then why not use a manual scissors type rather than a swinging self catch?

Jim

Jim it allow you to catch them AND miss them....both directions.

SRBeef":utcnspg3 said:

Jim
I had a cow that made it through with her shoulders. She got caught in the flank. There was no way to let her on through because the gate would not open all the way to the inside. The only way out was to back her up. I was by myself. It was a 2 hr. ordeal. If the gate had the capability of opening all the way it would have been no problem. Now I sure wish I had one that would do that.
Having said this,there should be some type of adjustment as to how far the gate will open inward, otherwise it would defeat the purpose or not even work.

Latest posts