Looking at bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I think that he is not a bad looking bull. But he certainly has a very low BW, and regardless of the EPD's that would make me wonder some at what his actual performance would be.

His numbers, real, and EPD show low growth, his topline is not attractive and he is very shorthipped. Unless you are just looking for a heifer bull i wouldn't use him. I sure wouldn't keep his daughters.

3waycross":3l76ajp5 said:
His numbers, real, and EPD show low growth, his topline is not attractive and he is very shorthipped. Unless you are just looking for a heifer bull i wouldn't use him. I sure wouldn't keep his daughters.

Ditto 3 way has it right

Thanks for everyones thoughts, I don't know/understand much about EPDs
But from what you all are saying may be I should look at another bull or two
instead because I am wanting growth most of all, not worried about
birthweight much (most of my calves average 85-90lbs at birth).

breedlove":3uuihr6q said:
Thanks for everyones thoughts, I don't know/understand much about EPDs
But from what you all are saying may be I should look at another bull or two
instead because I am wanting growth most of all, not worried about
birthweight much (most of my calves average 85-90lbs at birth).
I think that you are making a correct decision to consider another bull for your expectations. This bull has a very desirable background in his sire side, but with your desiring growth I would look elswhere. Bear in mind, however, that high growth is not necessarily the way to go for all of your genetic needs! Too much growth costs money, both to feed the progeny, and to maintain the dams year round. As a Terminal program - okay. As a Maternal operation wherin you retain replacement heifers - you should look elsewhere - in the catalog perhaps. Try to keep the Milk EPD below 25, and the BW around 0. Your Simm. genetics are edging upward on growth enough as it is.

DOC HARRIS

Maybe my eyes are giving in, but I thought this sale has a very strong offering and lot 2 isn't bad at all. In my limited experience with angus Final Answer sires the right kind of cattle and that goes a lot further than unproven EPDs!

KNERSIE":nu4wva6x said:
Maybe my eyes are giving in, but I thought this sale has a very strong offering and lot 2 isn't bad at all. In my limited experience with angus Final Answer sires the right kind of cattle and that goes a lot further than unproven EPDs!

What about PROVEN growth ratios on test? When they ratio below their peer group on test doesn't that go to proving EPD's?

I should have looked at this sooner, I would have gone just to watch. Its only about a 40 minute drive from here.

Some of what was in the catalog looked to be some pretty decent stock.

Katherine

No I did not make it to the sale. Had a heifer calving at 6 am, calf didnt get here until about 8:30 (with some help) and its about a 3-1/2 hour drive so I figured it was to late by the time I would get there. Would be curious about prices if anyone went.

I thought there were some nice Bulls in the mix. If I hadn't just made a purchase I would have driven up. Also curious about prices they brought.
What breeding are you using on your cows now?

fitz

I have all the prices at home if anyone wants to know about any particular animal.

These I do remember

They started the sale with the Red Angus Hybrid (1/2 RA, 1/4 BA, 1/4 Braunvieh) and he brought $5100

then they sold the Herfords
#61 - $5500
#63 - $5500

Then Angus

#2- $4000
all the "Final Answer" bulls were $4000 and up

Braunvieh Last

#53 $4250
#55 $3750

I have them all at home if anyone would like to know

Thanks dps. I had looked through the catolog and marked about 6 or 8 I would have liked to look at. With lot #2 bringing 4000 I figure the ones I marked were in that range.
Sounds like they had a good sale. If you get time later let me know what lot #1 brought.

fitz

Latest posts