Look at this

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
First off (before the pictures) I will start with the story. About a week ago when I went out in the morning and found my weanling colt had been chased out of his pen. The gate he went through was latched, but not well. Enough to keep him in, until he hit it really hard and popped the pin. He was cut up just below his chest, and had reinjured his back leg. But there were no other marks on him. Then the next morning, one of our big corral gates had been hit hard enough to break the chain on it, and open it. Something had either chased the horses into it, or some deer.

Now, yesterday, when we went out to catch our horses to move cows, I noticed some claw marks on MY horse's rump. Keep in mind that he is 16.2 hh, and that they are WAY too high to be from barbed wire. They are not deep, barely cut the skin, and he did not bleed at all.

DSC05409.jpg

DSC05410.jpg

I would say a cougar. A bear's claw marks would be farther apart, about the size of a person's. Change your horses name to "Lucky".

Yep that is cougar.Lady next door had one get her horse more deepely. Same marks.your lucky!!

not sure if your crop insurance is like Manitoba's but...
...check with crop insurance to see if they have preditor insurance. Here in MB we do. Does not cost a thing...really...you make a claim and go through the process and see what happens.
Any how i am recommending to check this out because if the animal gets sick and dies from infection due to this it is covered and no deductable or premium is paid. You just need to follow procedures. Worth checking out? maybe?

RR

ArrowHBrand":2phdx8dl said:
I would say a cougar. A bear's claw marks would be farther apart, about the size of a person's. Change your horses name to "Lucky".

:lol: :lol: His name is Chance, believe it or not :lol: :lol: .

We definitely do not have bears here. Cougars are very uncommon as well, although there have been numerous sightings in the last couple years.

rockridgecattle":26nxd7az said:
not sure if your crop insurance is like Manitoba's but...
...check with crop insurance to see if they have preditor insurance. Here in MB we do. Does not cost a thing...really...you make a claim and go through the process and see what happens.
Any how i am recommending to check this out because if the animal gets sick and dies from infection due to this it is covered and no deductable or premium is paid. You just need to follow procedures. Worth checking out? maybe?

RR

We are not at all involved with crop insurance, so I really have no idea what they would or would not cover. As for this horse, those scratches, are just that, they just barely broke the skin. He did not even bleed. He won't suffer any problems from them.

~

Wow.

If only those horses could talk.

Hope your weanling colt recovers from his traumatic experience.

Wonder why the big cat or bear went after the horses and not the cattle ?

randiliana":zapomog8 said:
ArrowHBrand":zapomog8 said:

:lol: :lol: His name is Chance, believe it or not :lol: :lol: .

We definitely do not have bears here. Cougars are very uncommon as well, although there have been numerous sightings in the last couple years.

"Second" Chance maybe!! :lol: ;-)

Latest posts