LonghornxBeefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

MOcowboy

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with this cross? I have a small herd of 25 Registered Longhorns. and I am planning on experimenting with breeding a few to my Beefmaster bulls for the next few years to start a Commercial herd. I have raised few half bloods out of my Grade longhorns that made good cows and the calves did well at the sale barn that was out of a red limousine bull. But I believe using Beefmaster bulls will give me better Maternal traits to retain heifers. My overall goal is to get some LonghornxBeefmaster cross cows then throw my Dads angus bulls on them. I originally never attended to keep my longhorns I bought them cheap during the Drought in 2013 to through on some rough brushy land I have. All the Longhorns was bred to an Angus bull. I had a very good calf crop almost all the calves came out solid colored and the calf crop paid for itself and then some in the first calf crop. I used to think Longhorns was not worth having until I seen how well they did on that rough ground and how much less hay and input I put into them vs my Beef cattle. If anyone has any experience with the Longhorn X Beefmaster cross I would greatly appreciate any opinions or experience with them. Thanks

I can't tell you yet, but I will be able to this fall, I just bred 20 Longhorn and Corriente cross mama's to my Beefmaster bull.

My plan is to put the heifers out of this cross back to an Angus bull.

I would think it would complicate the color pattern even more. Maybe a charbray, would work better. Idk.

My brother use BM on LH. Working fine. Most beef he got out of other crosses he tried.

houstoncutter":gh57o97i said:
The dock at the barn will be terrible.

Got that right that is putting the tranny in reverse with a cinder block on the accelerator. Back to the future of the late 1800's trying to improve LH to beef producers.
O we have already taken that journey.

A. LH already have great maternal traits/instincts...that's one of their attributes.
b. If this would have been a good idea, Tom Lassiter & his father would have used LH instead of Brahman, tho there has always been some speculation that Tom's father did play around a bit with another (4th) breed in the woodpile when he first started developing the BM..
c. If your beefmasters don't already have plenty of maternals, then maybe you need to cull a little more/better?
d. The offspring gonna be one ugly thing to have to look at IMO.
e. The composite Beefmaster is already a 3way. I don't think you get enough out of making it into a 4way, then going back with an Angus as something has to get diluted along the way.
f. I sure hope you aren't going to be sacrificing docility with the Beefmaster X LH...that could make working in open pasture right after calving time an interesting sight.
G. There are 6 essentials...not 8.

MOcowboy":14xo3u34 said:
I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with this cross? I have a small herd of 25 Registered Longhorns. and I am planning on experimenting with breeding a few to my Beefmaster bulls for the next few years to start a Commercial herd. I have raised few half bloods out of my Grade longhorns that made good cows and the calves did well at the sale barn that was out of a red limousine bull. But I believe using Beefmaster bulls will give me better Maternal traits to retain heifers. My overall goal is to get some LonghornxBeefmaster cross cows then throw my Dads angus bulls on them. I originally never attended to keep my longhorns I bought them cheap during the Drought in 2013 to through on some rough brushy land I have. All the Longhorns was bred to an Angus bull. I had a very good calf crop almost all the calves came out solid colored and the calf crop paid for itself and then some in the first calf crop. I used to think Longhorns was not worth having until I seen how well they did on that rough ground and how much less hay and input I put into them vs my Beef cattle. If anyone has any experience with the Longhorn X Beefmaster cross I would greatly appreciate any opinions or experience with them. Thanks

Nothing wrong with using longhorns on a brushy pile of rocks. Don't let anyone tell you different.
I agree the beefmaster might not be the best choice. I would either buy a charlois bull or borrow one of dads Angus bulls.

MOcowboy":3fr9h7yq said:

If you have access to an Angus bull, then I would suggest producing Longhorn X Angus calves. You can sell the bulls/steers and keep the heifers. Then you can cross those Longhorn X Angus heifers, which should be excellent mommas, with a homozygous black continental bull, such as a Simmental or Limousin bull, because black seems to be the most popular. That three-way cross should produce very good beef calves.

I just had a Texas feed man tell me that a beefmaster bull on longhorn cows was the best margin he's ever had. He's a Texas feed salesman, so take it for what it's worth.

Farm Fence Solutions":22vn46if said:
I just had a Texas feed man tell me that a beefmaster bull on longhorn cows was the best margin he's ever had. He's a Texas feed salesman, so take it for what it's worth.

Best margin? Do you mean pounds of feed per pounds of weight gained?

I know Longhorns and Brahmans have evolved by surviving off low-quality feed.

Bullitt":mf3cln0j said:
Farm Fence Solutions":mf3cln0j said:

Best margin? Do you mean pounds of feed per pounds of weight gained?

I know Longhorns and Brahmans have evolved by surviving off low-quality feed.

Margin as in profit margin.

I don't know, there's few nice Beefmaster x Longhorn crosses on both Longhorn page and Beefmaster page on Facebook. Better beefy than Angus x Longhorn cross

The Only Bulls that will bring you $ on Longhorns are Terminal EPD Charolais, then Limousin bulls as very close second place

gaurus":xt44ezjf said:
The Only Bulls that will bring you $ on Longhorns are Terminal EPD Charolais, then Limousin bulls as very close second place
Oh god this is getting old.

My intensions are not to improve the Beefmaster breed. I recently started raising Registered Beefmasters and I believe there is plenty of genetics out there to find what anyone would want in the breed. My dad and me have always mainly had your typical AngusxHereford cows then around 15yrs ago we switched our Hereford bulls to Limousine bulls. And for my personal herd the last 8 years I have had a Beefmaster bull around which I have been very pleased with. As far as my longhorns go I am just basically experimenting with the cross to see what kind of commercial mamma cows they can produce with a Beefmaster bull, and to improve there calves worth at the sale barn. I understand the Limousine or Charolaise cross would be the best cross to use to strictly sell at the sale barn. But I question what the quality of the heifers would be VS the Beefmaster cross. And my plans to make the cross the 3rd time would be strictly to help remove more color and if their is any ear which I would use a Limousine or Angus bull for that. I wouldn't plan on holding any of them calves back as replacements. My personal opinion, I believe most of the common British or Beef breeds like Hereford, Angus, Simmental, Charolaise, etc. have been crossed and diluted so much to improve the breed/color that their ability to create the Hybrid vigor cross wouldn't be much difference as using a Beefmaster bull just my 2 cents.
As far as the ones that believe there is no ability or worth in a full blood Longhorn cow in the beef world. I strongly disagree I don't think there is a breed out there with the ability to make you more money on a budget or on rough ground. The non registered full blood longhorns are still very cheap and there is guys I know that use Charolaise and Limousine bulls on them and the calves do good at the sale barn, they grow just as good as a lot of peoples commercial beef calves. Of course yes you will have a few that will have color and horn that will be docked at the sale but as a whole they do good. My longhorns I feed half as much Hay to as my Beef cattle and at $25-$60 a bale that adds up, and I am yet to pull a calf. I also have several cows that are 16yrs old that still raise a nice calf. Yes it is more of a hassle to work longhorns with the big horns but in my experience I rarely have to get them up for anything like pink eye, foot rot or to pull a calf. As far as going to buy cows to pay for themselves I believe longhorns have a lot potential and would pay for them selves faster than the Beef breeds starting out at least. Again that's just my experience and 2 cents again.
As far as my full blood and registered Longhorns. I am striving to raise a different style Longhorn than your typical Longhorn breeder. I choose Maternal traits, Growth, Larger Body size/structure and solid color over Horn Growth. Horn size is currently the bottom of my list. I want my longhorns to be able to raise the biggest calf possible on rough brushy rocky land that the typical Beef breeds couldn't survive on. I have only had them sense 2013 so I have a lot of improving to do but I will eventually get them were I want them to be.

MOcowboy":slc2h8a9 said:
But I question what the quality of the heifers would be VS the Beefmaster cross.

I agree I was talking about pure Terminal Feeder calves, now for replacement heifers Longhorn/BM cross would be best, because the cross cows will be more efficient than Beefmaster cows and have more beef in them than Longhorn cows, then you can use a terminal bull on them to bring $$ for the feeder calves

Latest posts