Long lines

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
We took a trailer load of calves to the sale barn in Decatur after church today. I think everyone else had the same idea- we waited in line for 40 minutes to even get on the property. It was another 25 minutes to unload. Haven't seen lines like that since 2011!

Rarely see a line here anymore. Years ago I have sit in line for up to 4 hours. That was before cattle trailers started being used here. But sales that once had 2500 head now have 500. Farms grown up into trees or houses.

Rarely have to wait more than one or two rigs to unload. Loading out to haul some home can be a different deal. You can always count on there being a line. I have waited over an hour a number of times.

The rain has delayed some of the fall run. Most people in our area have had a good supply of grass with all the rain but its time to cash in. Winters coming quickly.

my trailer cut gate got jammed up last time i went and i caused quite a back up .. oops

Texas Gal":3w55x338 said:
We took a trailer load of calves to the sale barn in Decatur after church today. I think everyone else had the same idea- we waited in line for 40 minutes to even get on the property. It was another 25 minutes to unload. Haven't seen lines like that since 2011!

If you don't get to one our barns early here 2+hours to unload is average

Seems like there's a new man every week a the unloading area..most don't know either end of a cow...their just there from sun up till pay check..

kenny thomas":143dmc34 said:
Rarely see a line here anymore. Years ago I have sit in line for up to 4 hours. That was before cattle trailers started being used here. But sales that once had 2500 head now have 500. Farms grown up into trees or houses.
Which barn do you sell at Kenny?

They had a proposal to build a new Sale Barn in Baileyton, Tn just off I 81. The reason is that the Kingsport Barn has lost its lease and they wanted approval for a new site. State Commission denied the permit because it was too close to the Greenville Barn.

sstterry":1zvcme95 said:
They had a proposal to build a new Sale Barn in Baileyton, Tn just off I 81. The reason is that the Kingsport Barn has lost its lease and they wanted approval for a new site. State Commission denied the permit because it was too close to the Greenville Barn.
Yep, I remember that. If i remember correctly it was said that one of the owners of Greenville was on the State Commission.
Cow sale over here Wednesday night. Come over.

I don't remember A Greenville owner being on the Board, but they were concerned about how close it was to the Greenville Mkt. Jonesville is a curvy ride when Greenville is only 15 minutes away and I am friends with one of the owners. But my last calves I sold may change my mind. :roll:

2 weeks ago had a 3 hr wait in line to unload. We are going to haul cattle for a neighbor on Friday. Gonna get them in and moved to our barn on Thursday aft., then my son will take the first load on Fri at about 4 a.m.. Then I will go in with the second load at about 11 or 12. Sale is supposed to start at 2 p.m. but they have started as late as 5 p.m. in order to get everyone unloaded. most everyone has trailers now so all the spots for trucks are a bit wasted; but 15 or more years ago, there would be 10 or more trucks for every trailer and the trailers usually were from "little guys " like we were, that had 5-10 head to unload. Now there are 25 trailers to every truck that comes in. Still mostly big trailers/ pots that load out, but not to come in. Not many places have the required loading spot where a truck can back up to or a bank that the truck can back into, or something. It's alot easier to have the portable pens with so many places now being rented and load at ground level. Been running about 15-1900 head a week on Fridays for the past month or more.

sstterry":lp2dp6zy said:
I don't remember A Greenville owner being on the Board, but they were concerned about how close it was to the Greenville Mkt. Jonesville is a curvy ride when Greenville is only 15 minutes away and I am friends with one of the owners. But my last calves I sold may change my mind. :roll:
Good people at Greenville, if I was closer I would go there. The barn manager Issac is a very good friend. But its 2 hard hours if I'm loaded no matter how I go. Im 11 miles or 15 minutes here and rarely wait over 5 minutes to unload.

sstterry":ttqgf9me said:

I go to the Kingsport sale about every Saturday. Haven't heard they lost the lease. Overheard some of the regular buyers talking/grumbling......Definitely need to make some changes over there. I know it's just a cattle sale barn but if they stay around the least they could do is clean the place up a little. Bet there's 500 lbs of cobwebs hanging in the sale arena.

kenny thomas":1lm2s9bq said:
sstterry":1lm2s9bq said:
Good people at Greenville, if I was closer I would go there. The barn manager Issac is a very good friend. But its 2 hard hours if I'm loaded no matter how I go. Im 11 miles or 15 minutes here and rarely wait over 5 minutes to unload.

I completely understand not wanting the long haul! I am about the same distance from Greenville. Phil, one of the owners has been a friend of my family for probably 50 years. In fact his ex-wife and my mother are still very close.

CCCowman":1tpea030 said:
sstterry":1tpea030 said:

I go to the Kingsport sale about every Saturday. Haven't heard they lost the lease. Overheard some of the regular buyers talking/grumbling......Definitely need to make some changes over there. I know it's just a cattle sale barn but if they stay around the least they could do is clean the place up a little. Bet there's 500 lbs of cobwebs hanging in the sale arena.

I need to correct what I said about them losing their lease. The article I read was from a few years ago, I did not check the date when I read it. Kingsport has not lost their lease. My apologies.

our barn was expecting 2500 head yesterday, had to wait for one truck to unload.. happened to be my neighbor!.. I never waited for more than 2 or 3 trucks.. the liners have several of their own docks

sstterry":29uk3kyx said:
CCCowman":29uk3kyx said:
sstterry":29uk3kyx said:

I need to correct what I said about them losing their lease. The article I read was from a few years ago, I did not check the date when I read it. Kingsport has not lost their lease. My apologies.
The issue actually was that Indian Path Hospital bought the Kingsport stockyard property reportedly to stop the expansion of Holston Valley Medical Center. Nobody was really sure what would happen. Now both hospitals have combined i think. I have been at Kingsport, Greenville, Mascot, when the sales lasted till morning.

kenny thomas":35wv12zo said:
sstterry":35wv12zo said:
CCCowman":35wv12zo said:

The issue actually was that Indian Path Hospital bought the Kingsport stockyard property reportedly to stop the expansion of Holston Valley Medical Center. Nobody was really sure what would happen. Now both hospitals have combined i think. I have been at Kingsport, Greenville, Mascot, when the sales lasted till morning.

Kenny how did the cow sale go last night, I thought about coming. I have also heard Kingsport is closing for years as I will believe it when I see it. I have taken cattle there as well to Mascot and been to Greenville. Greenville has a good market as I wish I was closer.

Latest posts