Lonesome Dove

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
I am in the middle of watching Lonesome Dove, and let me say thet it has to be the best western that I have ever seen. The comic relief is what really sets it apart form other westerns, mostly due to Robert Duvall IMHO, who also plays an awesome part in Open Range.

Copeman, if you haven't already done so, I would suggest that you also read the Lonesome Dove novel, for which Larry McMurtry won the Pulitzer prize. It's really a wonderful book and of course contains many great scenes and "discussions" that the movie omitted. The book is a little long, but has a high EPD for "can't put it down". :lol:

FWIW, I've got a feeling that you would also like the much older, classic movie "Hud", starring Paul Newman, Melvin Douglas, Patricia Neal and Brandon deWilde. I think the first 3 named performers were nominated for academy awards, and know that Melvin Douglas did win for best supporting actor. The setting is more modern, say around 1950, and it's about a Hereford raising family in north Texas, whose herd comes down with foot & mouth disease. As I recall, Hud is based on an earlier Larry McMurtry novel entitled "Horseman Pass By"

"Hud" does sound like a good one. Ill have to look into it. Ive heard that the old mive "Giant" with Elizabeth Taylor is a good Texas Cattle movie.

The original "Monte Walsh" with Lee Marvin is a good one, but the book is great. I read it at least once a year. The remake of the moke with sellek bears only a passing resemblance to the original or the book.
It isn;t about any breed of cattle, more the cowboy way of life.

dun

We had a "Lonesome Dove" marathon this winter (on the weekend that it snowed) Yep-sure is a good series. And Dean was great in "Giant" haven't seen that in some time.

Lonesome Dove definitely in my top five of movies alltogether. Josey Wales is up there too. Best book I ever read was called "A Land Remembered" though.

D.R. Cattle":3lzir0r4 said:
Lonesome Dove definitely in my top five of movies alltogether. Josey Wales is up there too. Best book I ever read was called "A Land Remembered" though.

I have to agree with you D.R., Lonesome Dove is now one of my top five. Like you, my favorite Clint Eastwood is defintely the Outlaw Josey Wales, it is a classic. I am not much of a John Wayne fan IMHO. I also liked Open Range, but it did not have as much story and detail as Lonesome Dove.

:D Lonesome Dove, great movie may dust it off and start watching it again but first I think i'll have me a 'POKE'. 8) :idea:

Three T":2xi5q2ku said:
:D Lonesome Dove, great movie may dust it off and start watching it again but first I think i'll have me a 'POKE'. 8) :idea:

okay sod buster!!!

My two favorite Movies are the original Monte Wlash and Evil Roy Slade, the Villian runs a close 3rd.

dun

Speaking of Lonesome Dove, I've read the book several times, watched the movie,cd, evan more.
I've allways wondered what was written on the sign in "Latin".
I don't have the book in front of me right now.
I've noticed that several members have latin sayings listed at the bottom of their post.

My guess is that it says something like " Live life to the fullest" , or "Live like you were dieing"

Come on , somebody help me.
Bill,

MULDOON":3a7h3zzt said:
Speaking of Lonesome Dove, I've read the book several times, watched the movie,cd, evan more.
I've allways wondered what was written on the sign in "Latin".
I don't have the book in front of me right now.
I've noticed that several members have latin sayings listed at the bottom of their post.

My guess is that it says something like " Live life to the fullest" , or "Live like you were dieing"

Come on , somebody help me.
Bill,

This is another question we have had at Serra several times. Like the "Book of Counted Sorrows", the pseudo-Latin phrase "uva uvam vivendo varia fit" was invented by the author, Larry McMurtry. It would roughly translate—according to a Latin language instructor we consulted at San Diego State University back in 1988—as "a grape matures by looking at another grape". According to SCAN at Los Angeles Public Library, a letter from McMurtry provides the above translation as well; apparently he had an English language proverb and the conversion back to Latin got a bit fractured.

Does

uva uvam vivendo varia fit sound like what you are looking for?

"uva uvam vivendo varia", Yup!

But, I would never of guessed it was talking about 2 grapes :roll: :roll:

I getting a visual of Captain "CALL" looking at "Gus", as a little professor looking dude with spectacles is explaing to them that their " Hatcreek cattle sign" is talking about 2 grapes growing old.

Thanks for for the answer to my question. :D :D

Bill,

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, Gus put the words on the sign because they looked good and had no idea what the meant

dun

open range is a good duvall movie, with kevin costner.
those two make a great pair. great shoot em up western, they kill All the bad guys :D

Latest posts