Lone Star Tick

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Meat allergy, schmeat allergy. Now here's a REAL tick-borne illness to give you nightmares: https://www.cdc.gov/powassan/index.html
Powassan: fatal in at least 10% of cases (one article placed it far higher but I can't find it now; it basically gave you a 50/50 shot). Comes on quickly and causes encephalitis etc. Lasting neuro damage likely if you survive it. No vaccine, no treatment (other than put you on a vent and hope your body beats it back in time).
Oh and the tick vector is spreading.
Sweet dreams!

TCRanch

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up with STARI disease after being bitten by a Lone Star tick. Wouldn't wish that on anyone and was jacked up on Doxycycline, Vicodin and Tylenol 800 for a month. I do not have any allergic reactions to meat and while I'm diligent about spraying with Deet 40, I will still occasionally get another tick with a subsequent bad reaction and have to start another round of Doxy.
https://www.cdc.gov/stari/disease/index.html

hurleyjd

Reaction score
We called the lone star tick a speck back tick years ago. Also been a long time since I have removed a tick from the dogs are seen any on the cows. Why I think it might be because of the fire ants that we have. I can stand a fire ant more so than I can a tick.

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I had a tick crawling on me the other night. I killed it and went on. I guess I'm going to have to be a bit more attentive to things now.

dun

Reaction score
We have a tick around here with a white spot on it's back. Never examined to ti see what it was a picture of. Just pull them off and squish them.

TexasBred

Reaction score
dun":1rrktni4 said:
We have a tick around here with a white spot on it's back. Never examined to ti see what it was a picture of. Just pull them off and squish them.
Found one crawling on the dog this morning. First one I've seen in probably 20 years. Also had a coon in the live trap on the patio. Might have come off him.

Latest posts