Loggers

Help Support CattleToday:

jehosofat

Reaction score
Looking at a 50 acre tract of land for sale, mostly pine and a few hardwoods along the creek. Price is CHEAP, but the timber has already been contracted out. Timber contract calls for 300 cords of wood removed. Roughly how much is that on 50 acres? I know there are a lot of variables, but just a rough idea.

That'd be about 6 cords an acre or a little more than a half a load per acre which would would be a light thinning here. Any more than 34 loads removed and I'd be concerned but it all boils down to what the contract says.

Jogeephus":j2v3t14a said:
That'd be about 6 cords an acre or a little more than a half a load per acre which would would be a light thinning here. Any more than 34 loads removed and I'd be concerned but it all boils down to what the contract says.

That's what I was hoping, the landowner has passed and I'm dealing with the estate. Only thing that bothers me is the time they have, still almost 18 months left on contract for them to get it. I am going to try and renegotiate the contract with the timber company to get it clear cut except for the hardwoods.

What are they supposed to be cutting? 300 cords of what? Is it marked? Is it being sold by the load or did they pay up front? Lots of things to consider.

They have paid up front for 300 cords, give or take a load or two. It was sold as a thinning, pine only. All of the pine is about the same size. The trees to be thinned are not marked, they are supposed to evenly thin the entire tract. I would guess that the pine is about 35 acres of it, about 15 in hardwood which they are not supposed to touch.

On paper this sounds like it would be alright. In practice I see a lot of holes in it. Hope the logging outfit is aboveboard.

I have not found a logger in my area that's even close to honest, they'll screw you 9 ways to Sunday

jehosofat":v7hdbecg said:
I am going to try and renegotiate the contract with the timber company to get it clear cut except for the hardwoods.

I wish you luck with that. It almost has to be an individual to negotiate select cutting in north east Texas Companies won't go it.

If only pine and no hardwood there will not be much compensation for them. Like said before most loggers, especially on an open end contract like this will help themselves. If it is in the contract no hardwood I would watch that closely if any is good.

Txpiney":r5e9c4ny said:
I have not found a logger in my area that's even close to honest, they'll screw you 9 ways to Sunday

What you say is doubly true here...i used the one with the best reputation and came recommended from a few folks and it was still an absolute shyt show.

Yech!
the estate gets the $$....the loggers get the trees and you get the mess they leave minus whatever they could steal behind your back?

greybeard":3gqlev7x said:
Yech!
the estate gets the $$....the loggers get the trees and you get the mess they leave minus whatever they could steal behind your back?

They can have it all, if I can turn it into pasture cheap.

bball":1o8g7izj said:
Txpiney":1o8g7izj said:

What you say is doubly true here...i used the one with the best reputation and came recommended from a few folks and it was still an absolute shyt show.

yep.. I hired a forester and he tried to sell my whole tract for 50k. I called his bullsh!t on him and he stood there speechless.

I ended up selling it to a guy who owned a local sawmill. He harvested about 2/3's of it and got 195k.

wow.

If they gave it to you after a clear cut then you would be out bokoo dollars turning it into pasture. Might try to find a place ready to go and buy it instant use without waiting years to get the place up and going.

hurleyjd":5ss1zlfk said:
If they gave it to you after a clear cut then you would be out bokoo dollars turning it into pasture. Might try to find a place ready to go and buy it instant use without waiting years to get the place up and going.

It joins land I already own.

I've turned three other clear cuts into pasture in less than a year, total time to grass.

I own or have access to the equipment.

jehosofat":f3oiysz4 said:
Looking at a 50 acre tract of land for sale, mostly pine and a few hardwoods along the creek. Price is CHEAP, but the timber has already been contracted out. Timber contract calls for 300 cords of wood removed. Roughly how much is that on 50 acres? I know there are a lot of variables, but just a rough idea.

Realistically unless you're going to come out of pocket with a lot of money they are going to cut almost everything standing if you buying the land hinges on keeping the hardwoods I would keep looking. If they have that contract with the estate they do not care if you get trees or not they got the timber money and want the land money. This doesn't look like a good situation for you unfortunately if you want to keep a good bit of timber.

hurleyjd":2hs004w4 said:

Here its not alot of $$ or time to do so as most of our woods are pine

skyhightree1":333g4hj8 said:
jehosofat":333g4hj8 said:

Realistically unless you're going to come out of pocket with a lot of money they are going to cut almost everything standing if you buying the land hinges on keeping the hardwoods I would keep looking. If they have that contract with the estate they do not care if you get trees or not they got the timber money and want the land money. This doesn't look like a good situation for you unfortunately if you want to keep a good bit of timber.

Did you actually read this thread?
Contract is for 300 cords.
I don't want to keep timber, just the little bit of hardwoods along the creek.
They don't have a contract but for a thinning of pines at roughly 300 cords.
What I'm trying to do is get the contract changed to where they buy every single pine tree on the entire place.

Latest posts