Local cattleman's association

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
We are in the process of starting a local cattle association mostly aimed at marketing calves in loadlots. I know many of you belong to an association. Any tips on getting started. We have already met twice and had a rep from a med company there to help. Any ideas will be appreciated. PM me if you would rather.

Why bother with an Association?
With internet auctions you can sell them as a group right off your farms. You don't like one guys cattle you just don't agree to market yours with theirs.

Ours went defunk, counld't get all on board to get enough uniform calves, maybe just the area we are in. hard to get a large group to work together.

Don't know if it will last but with only 2 meetings we have 755 calves consigned to sell on Dec 1. All weaned 45 days, wormed and vaccinated the with the same products. Not bad for a start.

Good for ya'll, Kenny. Its beyond me why most small ranchers feel that they are competing against each other. I haven't been doing the ranching thing for myself, but a few years, but have been around it and farming all my life. I know and help allot of other ranchers when they need it and to hear some of them talk, every man with a cow is their competition. I am 48 and I only know 2 maybe 3, other people in my county, that are my age or younger, that raise cattle. At one time, I can remember nearly every farm having them. The only competition I see is within the rancher himself, deciding if he wants to enjoy raising cattle, or enjoy raising cattle and making the most that he can while doing it. I prefer the latter.

Just do something productive. Our county's is a joke. I dont go. 75% of them dont own cattle. They meet and eat steak once a month and put on a rodeo once a year so they can dress up like cowboys.

Latest posts