Local Business

Help Support CattleToday:

Where do you do most of your shopping?

• 100% small local bussinesses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Local businesses as much as I can, but some big town

• I buy local when I have a couple of needs but mostly plan a trip to bigger towns

• All a planned trip to a larger town with savings and more choices

• Total voters

Alan

Reaction score
I'm assuming alot of us live in small communities. For example, I have 2 small towns close by, one about 15 miles and another about 7 miles. However there is a large town with Home Depot, Fred Meyers, several groceries, Wal Mart, Target and 2 Malls about 20 miles away.

I'm curious to how many shop the local small town businesses and don't pay attention to the cost, rather support the local business, or may plan a trip to the "big city" to get more options and save more money.

I don't think either is right or wrong, it's a choice, I'm just curious about the choice.

In the town that's 7 miles away, there is a mom and pop hardware store. It has the old uneven wooden floors. The staff walks you to ever need and is very freindly and helpful, always an offer for a cup of coffee. I know I may pay as much a 25 to 50% more there, but that's my choice and I want to support them. Don't get me wrong Home Depot knows me very well also. But I would say 90% of my purchases are to local businesses.

Alan

There are some things that cannot be attained from Maw and Paw businesses.

eBay and the internet were not options in the poll.

I hate going to the big cities for anything.

backhoeboogie":isnjzu3c said:
There are some things that cannot be attained from Maw and Paw businesses.

eBay and the internet were not options in the poll.

I hate going to the big cities for anything.

Good point, anyone that needs to may hand write "I buy from the internet" on their computer screen.... :D

I actually was going to list that as an option, but I can't seem to remember anything for longer than 5 minutes these days. I also buy some things off the internet... but not like my wife :(

Alan

With the new job I pass through Baton Rouge and New Orleans every day. However, the wife still gets groceries from a store that still has the man's name hanging on it. When you walk in you feel right at home.

Alan, what's Fred Meyers???

cypressfarms":1ux6w6js said:
Alan, what's Fred Meyers???

Fred Meyer's is kind of like Wal-Mart in the northwest. Not quite as big but they are a one stop shopping center.

Cypress when your wife walks into that store, the owners probably appreciate her patronage. That is what I like the most about Maw and Paw shops, the owners are glad to see you and appreciate the nickels you spend in their stores. It kind of makes you wish everyone worked on commission. That would make an attitude difference at the check out stands I am sure.

We use the local business when possible. Problem is that WM has chased most of them out of business. There's another chain of stores that has 2 grocery stores in town, but they qaren;t muc different then WM and it's a longer drive. When we lived on the other side of town we hardly ever went to wm because everything else was handier..

dun

There's not many stores here besides locally owned businesses...as a matter of fact...the biggest store within about 50 miles or so is the Dollar General store...the rest of the stores are locally owned grocery and convenience stores

I try to use the good local stores when possible. I said good cause just cause they're locally owned doesnt always mean they try to serve you.jp

I live right in the middle of Caldwell (about 3000 people) and College Station (about 70,000 people, mostly college students). I dont go into College Station very much now that Im out of class for a few more weeks. Normally I am there 4 days a week at least. I go to Caldwell to the Brookshire Brothers grocery store, the Wal Mart and hardware store, and occasionally Dairy Queen. Now the only time I go into College Station is to go to a buddies house or hang out at one of the bars.

I'm 150 miles from the nearest Walmart- but I wouldn't walk in one if it was across the road !! I always try to buy everything local-- which means in the little towns in a 50-60 mile area of where I live...Once in a while I have to order something from Western Ranch Supply or some equipment dealer as I can't find it local-- but have found that many times if you just ask at the Maw & Paw stores, they can get it for you...

I'd just as soon pay a little more buying local and support the locals than help some multinational corporation make another $12 billion in yearly profits....

The two closest communities have been spared Wal-Marts attention. I can get anything from sewer pipe to bubble soap.

One of our "small towns" has grown into a small city in the last few years. We have one town about 15 minutes away and then this small city the opposite direction about 20 minutes away. I buy next to nothing in the small town. Really though the small town offers very little. The mom and pop businesses in the now small city complained pretty heavily when stores like Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire etc. showed up. However most of them did nothing about it but complain. Our feed store guy however that ran just a small store did. He turned himself into a Country Depot, bought a bigger piece of land with a big store and now instead of just selling to cow and horse people he sells garden stuff and pet food. He's doing well for himself and it's great to see.
Alot of people knock Wal-Mart but I've seen a lot of the (mostly) women around town who had very few options of where to work (drive to the city or work in one of the bars) now have a better paying job than they've ever had before.

Lockhart has had a small Walmart for years but guess what... There really are enough idiots on the city council to approve a Super Walmart. on top of that... Empty big blue building=TSC.Z

Latest posts