Livestock treatment gun?

Help Support CattleToday:

oakcreekfarms

Reaction score
Does anyone know the manufacturer of these. I am not looking for a dart gun, it is a gun that hooks up to an air tank and shoots medicated bb's (or bullets)

I can't think of the name of it right off hand, but it will come to me, We tried out a couple different ones, at home at the feedlot, using both Vaccines and Antibiotics such as Naxcel. We weren't very impressed with them for a couple reasons. You need to have a "dead on" shot, Nothing even at a slight angle, or we saw the pellets bouncing off the animals. Didn't matter if it was the Vaccine pellets, or antibiotics. You need someone to move the cattle by your along a fence, single file, and SLOWLY to get a quality shot and make it work. Usually the reason we were trying to use it, was because the cattle were so wild, we figured it would be less stress on them, than running throught the chute, but in the end, we had a higher "pull rate" than normal, and picked up a ton of "pellets" off the ground, so we we're impressed at all. We tried different people on the guns, in case of "operator error" and got the same results. When I think of the name of it, I will post.
We've gone to using a Pneu-Dart Rifle for treating "wild ones". Shoots up to 110ft, uses disposable darts, from .5cc to 10cc, and have had EXCELLENT results with it. We've used it for both vaccines, antibiotics, tranquilizers and wormers. We use the pump up style, but C02 riles are also available. Highly Recomended! and run $316.50 for the rifle, No fire-arms license required, ready to use in 3 minutes or less.

I have a cap-ture co2 rifle. It works great. I have calls all the time to deworm peoples cattle. I have the reuseable darts. On the side port needles, DONT get the short drop out needles. They will hit and bounce out before the meds can get out. Use the longer needles with small collar.The cow will run a few yards and fall out. The darts are about $15 a piece.

http://www.solidtechah.com/ I think this is what you were looking for. I haven't used it. We do have a CO2 dart gun that works nicely.

I'm not sure I would use either for whole herd management. I tend to think a needle is less invasive overall and more likely to have appropriate absorption from the tissue.

For those wild beasts, or the ones long way from facilities, a dart gun sure is nice.

yup, solid tech is the gun i'm sure, that's the one we tried at the feedlot, and a big % of the pellets, weather vaccine or antibiotic just bounced off, unless you had a "direct, straight on hit". Also were pretty cumbersome.

Thank you for the responses. Our reason for wanting one is to be able to treat pinkeye in rented pastures. Some of our pastures are 2 hrs from home and getting cattle in and out can be cumbersome.

can you get within 100ft of the animals? or even closer say with a pickup or 4-wheeler? Then that Pneu-dart Pump up or CO2 rifle using Draxxin or Zactran will work great, and they run about $315, with the darts being approx $4-$5. No fire-arms license required, easy to use. Otherwise if you can get within 45ft or less, even driving through them with a pickup, you can use a Medi-Dart CrossBow. They will allow you to use the cheaper/higher volume medicines, like Nuflor, La-300, Tylan, Penicillin, since they will hold up to 30cc of medicine, They are Re-usable darts, and are air-powered, so you just fill the syringe, with Your choice of Meds, pump up the tail piece with a little pump (provided) like pumping a basketball, Lay the dart in the crossbow and shoot. There is a little guard around the needle that when it hits they animal, the guard is pushed back, allowing the air to push the medicine forward, the meds are administered approx 10cc/second, then when the meds are gone, the guard will push the dart back out of the animal. You can pickup the dart (it's bright orange, so easy to find) reload it, and go treat another one. A complete kit, with everything you need including 3 needles, and 2 complete darts is about $385.00 free shipping in the us.
This may give you a couple options, without breaking the bank.

I can get very close to my cattle, the problem isn't distance from the animal but ability to sort to a chute. I was worried that darts would stay attached and take to long to recover. If you think one would work that might be the right way to go. The crossbow can take up to 30cc?

Yes, usually to help make a decision, i ask what type of medicine you are planning on using. If it is "larger dose" products such as Tylan, Pen, La-200/300, Nuflor Baytril, you will probably need the Crossbow, If you are thinking Draxxin, Zactran, Micotil, the rifle would work better, Here is a link to look at a crossbow:
http://livestockconcepts.com/restrainin ... -kit-.html
Here is a link to check out a rifle:
http://livestockconcepts.com/search?ord ... rch=Search
If you still have questions, i'll be glad to help 1-800-225-7399

LivestockConcepts":3vq47on3 said:
Yes, usually to help make a decision, i ask what type of medicine you are planning on using. If it is "larger dose" products such as Tylan, Pen, La-200/300, Nuflor Baytril, you will probably need the Crossbow, If you are thinking Draxxin, Zactran, Micotil, the rifle would work better, Here is a link to look at a crossbow:
http://livestockconcepts.com/restrainin ... -kit-.html
Here is a link to check out a rifle:
http://livestockconcepts.com/search?ord ... rch=Search
If you still have questions, i'll be glad to help 1-800-225-7399

Did you notice when you signed up that sales were a no no? I wouldn't bother to point that out if I could stand to do business with you folks again. I've never had so much junk email in my life.

You can try calling them, they are good people, but they are running 2-6 weeks behind on darts and Rifles. so if you're needing anything quickly, I doubt they will be able to provide it. But you can try.
thanks

LivestockConcepts":rqiyyvpb said:
.............. Otherwise if you can get within 45ft or less, even driving through them with a pickup, you can use a Medi-Dart CrossBow. They will allow you to use the cheaper/higher volume medicines, like Nuflor, La-300, Tylan, Penicillin, since they will hold up to 30cc of medicine, They are Re-usable darts, and are air-powered, so you just fill the syringe, with Your choice of Meds, pump up the tail piece with a little pump (provided) like pumping a basketball, Lay the dart in the crossbow and shoot. There is a little guard around the needle that when it hits they animal, the guard is pushed back, allowing the air to push the medicine forward, the meds are administered approx 10cc/second, then when the meds are gone, the guard will push the dart back out of the animal. You can pickup the dart (it's bright orange, so easy to find) reload it, and go treat another one.

I bought the Medi-Dart about a year ago. I've used it on 2 occasions (2 calves) in the past year, for a total of approx 10 or 12 injections. Overall, I am very happy with it, but would like to point out a couple observations I think a person should know before they buy one.
1. I would never attempt to shoot an animal more than 20 feet away, and preferrable less than 15'. This crossbow more/less "lobs" the dart. Don't even bother installing the sights that come with it. The point of impact changes significantly with just 2 or 3 feet distance, and with different cc "loads" (weight of projectile). With this said, this is not a problem, so long as your cattle are calm enough to walk among like mine are. Practice at different distances, and different cc loads, cannot be over emphasized.
2. There has to be a minimum 10cc load for the dart to work, which is not a problem for me. I only give 10cc per site (which also helps with the consistency/accuracy). If you only need a 5cc dose, add some B to make it 10cc.
3. Of the 10-12 injections I've given, I've had 2 "bounce outs". This rig comes with 3 different needles that grip the hide differently. I had to learn which one to use, why and when. After that, no more bounce outs.
4. I did have to sneak up and pull the dart out one time. Every other time it worked as advertised.
5. A lot of people have told me I'll have "gun shy" cattle. I treated these calves weeks aparts, but each one every day for 3 to 5 days in a row. The treated calves nor the other cattle ever acted any different than normal. They just flinch a bit, and out falls the dart.
6. SubQ needles don't work worth a darn

If I had it to do over again, I would at least look at other options. But again, it does what I need it to, and does it well. 2 things are a must; gentle/calm cattle and practice before using.

Latest posts