Livestock-associated meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (LA-MRSA) among MRSA from humans across the EU/EEA, 2013

Help Support CattleToday:

flounder

Reaction score
meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus MRSA

this is some very nasty stuff. MRSA damn near killed me back in 2001 after surgery. 8 wks LONG PIC line Vancomycin straight to the top of the heart, and that almost did not work, but after increasing dose, i pulled through. thought some of you might find interest in this...kind regards, terry

Livestock-associated meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (LA-MRSA) among MRSA from humans across the EU/EEA, 2013: ECDC survey

news

3 Nov 2017

The survey results show more frequent detections and geographical dispersion of LA-MRSA in humans in the EU/EEA since 2007, and highlight the public health and veterinary importance of LA-MRSA as a 'One Health' issue. The ECDC advocates for periodic systematic surveys or integrated multi-sectorial surveillance to facilitate control measures.

Livestock-associated meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (LA-MRSA) poses a zoonotic risk, particularly for those working in close contact with livestock. Nonetheless, surveillance of LA-MRSA in humans in Europe is currently not systematic, but mainly event-based.

In 2014, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) initiated a questionnaire survey to collect data on the numbers of LA-MRSA from human samples at national or regional reference laboratories in EU/EEA countries in 2013. ECDC received responses from 28 reference laboratories from 27 (90%) EU/EEA countries.

Overall, respondents reported receiving MRSA isolates from 14,291 patients in 2013, of which 13,756 (96%) were typed. LA-MRSA was identified by 17 (89%) of 19 countries with MRSA typing data. Overall, the percentage of typed MRSA isolates that were LA-MRSA was 3.9% (535/13,756). Seven countries reported that MRSA typing was not performed, in 2013, in the responding reference laboratory.

A need for systematic surveillance

This survey documents the increasing detection and geographical dispersion of LA-MRSA in humans in the EU/EEA since 2007. Moreover, 2014 and 2015 reports from the Nordic countries, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK have subsequently indicated an upward trend in the spread of LA-MRSA across Europe. The absence, in 2013, of MRSA typing in national/regional laboratories in seven countries is therefore of concern.

The results and overall high response rate for this survey highlight both the actual and perceived public health importance of LA-MRSA as a 'One Health' issue in EU/EEA countries. ECDC therefore recommends that EU/EEA countries consider repeating this survey periodically to monitor for changes and systematically map potential reservoirs and transmission pathways. Linkage of multi-sectorial, 'One Health' MRSA data is also encouraged, in order to enable appropriate targeting and monitoring of the effectiveness of control measures.

https://ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/l ... among-mrsa

http://staphmrsa.blogspot.com/

flounder":3p1is073 said:
meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus MRSA

this is some very nasty stuff. MRSA be nice near killed me back in 2001 after surgery. 8 wks LONG PIC line Vancomycin straight to the top of the heart, and that almost did not work, but after increasing dose, i pulled through. thought some of you might find interest in this...kind regards, terry

Livestock-associated meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (LA-MRSA) among MRSA from humans across the EU/EEA, 2013: ECDC survey

news

3 Nov 2017

The survey results show more frequent detections and geographical dispersion of LA-MRSA in humans in the EU/EEA since 2007, and highlight the public health and veterinary importance of LA-MRSA as a 'One Health' issue. The ECDC advocates for periodic systematic surveys or integrated multi-sectorial surveillance to facilitate control measures.

Livestock-associated meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (LA-MRSA) poses a zoonotic risk, particularly for those working in close contact with livestock. Nonetheless, surveillance of LA-MRSA in humans in Europe is currently not systematic, but mainly event-based.

In 2014, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) initiated a questionnaire survey to collect data on the numbers of LA-MRSA from human samples at national or regional reference laboratories in EU/EEA countries in 2013. ECDC received responses from 28 reference laboratories from 27 (90%) EU/EEA countries.

Overall, respondents reported receiving MRSA isolates from 14,291 patients in 2013, of which 13,756 (96%) were typed. LA-MRSA was identified by 17 (89%) of 19 countries with MRSA typing data. Overall, the percentage of typed MRSA isolates that were LA-MRSA was 3.9% (535/13,756). Seven countries reported that MRSA typing was not performed, in 2013, in the responding reference laboratory.

A need for systematic surveillance

This survey documents the increasing detection and geographical dispersion of LA-MRSA in humans in the EU/EEA since 2007. Moreover, 2014 and 2015 reports from the Nordic countries, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK have subsequently indicated an upward trend in the spread of LA-MRSA across Europe. The absence, in 2013, of MRSA typing in national/regional laboratories in seven countries is therefore of concern.

The results and overall high response rate for this survey highlight both the actual and perceived public health importance of LA-MRSA as a 'One Health' issue in EU/EEA countries. ECDC therefore recommends that EU/EEA countries consider repeating this survey periodically to monitor for changes and systematically map potential reservoirs and transmission pathways. Linkage of multi-sectorial, 'One Health' MRSA data is also encouraged, in order to enable appropriate targeting and monitoring of the effectiveness of control measures.

https://ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/l ... among-mrsa

http://staphmrsa.blogspot.com/
b

I have good news for you on this one. Cork University study showed elecampane kills MRSA 100 percent. Five people died in rehab in one night while my husband was there. When my husband caught it I went to whole foods and picked it up. The brand was herb pharma. It took seven days and was a burger to handle. He later developed another super bug at OU after surgery and it worked very quickly on that one as well. After the study came out it was very hard to find and even now I have to order online. Elecampane comes from the sunflower family.

Latest posts