Liver issue

Help Support CattleToday:

calfmomma

Reaction score
Hi all,
We raise several head of cattle for butcher sales each year. With grain prices we've chosen to take the year off, however my fil purchased a red Angus cross from the amish. He went to butcher and we were gifted with a quarter, meat tastes decent, just not the same way we raise ours.

My mother in law asked to keep the liver, heart, tongue, etc. Our butcher usually complies, but when they went to pick up their 3/4 the cut list stated "no good". I know my fil never dewormed or vaccinated so I assume parasite or abcess.

Any other reasons you all can think of? She's a little paranoid about the meat itself now, just want to give her peace of mind. And yes I'll be calling our butcher on Monday to see what I can find out.

Hi all,
We raise several head of cattle for butcher sales each year. With grain prices we've chosen to take the year off, however my fil purchased a red Angus cross from the amish. He went to butcher and we were gifted with a quarter, meat tastes decent, just not the same way we raise ours.

My mother in law asked to keep the liver, heart, tongue, etc. Our butcher usually complies, but when they went to pick up their 3/4 the cut list stated "no good". I know my fil never dewormed or vaccinated so I assume parasite or abcess.

Any other reasons you all can think of? She's a little paranoid about the meat itself now, just want to give her peace of mind. And yes I'll be calling our butcher on Monday to see what I can find out.
Animals on hot feed can develop liver cysts. Not uncommon at all. The rest of the animal would be fine if this is the case. Was the tongue and heart okay? I've never seen a bad heart but I've seen tongue have injuries that would have put it in the refuse bin.

Animals on hot feed can develop liver cysts. Not uncommon at all. The rest of the animal would be fine if this is the case. Was the tongue and heart okay? I've never seen a bad heart but I've seen tongue have injuries that would have put it in the refuse bin.
Heart and tongue were fine to my knowledge.

Cattle on 'hot'(high carbohydrate) ration may develop liver abscesses, if they experienced bouts of rumen acidosis.
Liver flukes are a problem in some areas.... In 40 years of veterinary practice & diagnostic pathology, in AL, TN, MO, KY, I've seen ONE case of liver fluke infection... in a Beefmaster heifer 'imported' from TX. But, if you're in an area where they are endemic, they can certainly result in condemnation of liver at slaughter.
In either case above, the meat should be safe to consume.

Found out why our old purchased bred cow never gained-picked up her boxes from the processor today-liver condemned for flukes. That explained a lot. Glad we're in a drought (I guess?). I suppose that's the beauty of raising your own-you know the history

Found out why our old purchased bred cow never gained-picked up her boxes from the processor today-liver condemned for flukes. That explained a lot. Glad we're in a drought (I guess?). I suppose that's the beauty of raising your own-you know the history
So, will you modify your usual parasite treatment going forward?
Have more testing done?
It's my understanding that the fecal egg tests for liver fluke aren't terribly reliable.
LuckyP..what say you?

So, will you modify your usual parasite treatment going forward?
Have more testing done?
It's my understanding that the fecal egg tests for liver fluke aren't terribly reliable.
LuckyP..what say you?
Not sure-this was a purchased cow, that was a bit thin when we got her as a heavy bred in December. We figured age and poor pasture contributed, but adding feed didn't improve her much. All others are in good condition considering our poor grass, but I have selectively dewormed her calf (prior to knowing this) and a purchased steer. We use troughs for water, so the typical"marshy environment" hasn't been present since last year's rain.
Curious about future management suggestions. The steer taken in with her had a clean liver.

Latest posts