Little dexter bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Neighbor butchered his little dexter 2 year old bull today and brought the splits over to hang for a few weeks. There's more to the little guy than I thought. He broke it down further than he needed to but it'll work. Fronts x 2, rears x 2 , upper ribs x2, lower ribs x2, and neck portion. :lol:
Didn't get it all in the pics but he should have pretty good results

Tell him to go ahead and burger the neck right now and do whatever he is going to do with the lower ribs too. Neither will benefit from hanging they will just dry up and be unusable.

Hook":3onu7c4q said:
That's what I was thinking too but wasn't sure. I'll let him know.

The two hind legs with the top sirloin attached, and the loins. Benefit from aging. The tenders can take a few days just to achieve rigor and then relax and then they need to be cut. The front shoulders pretty much the same, everything on the fronts shoulders with the exception of the flatirons usually gets ground or braised so aging does no good it just shrinks a lot, and the way he cut it he exposed many more surfaces than normal. This carcass is going to shrink like crazy.

Taurus":341rviwh said:
I can't wait to butchering one of our beltie steers this spring. He's about 1,300lbs at this moment.
1300 lb beltie? Didn't know there was such a thing.
Neighbor shipped his belties waddling as fat as pigs at 1100 lbs... they looked delicious and sold right with the blacks.

Son of Butch":3tulza7o said:
Taurus":3tulza7o said:
I can't wait to butchering one of our beltie steers this spring. He's about 1,300lbs at this moment.
1300 lb beltie? Didn't know there was such a thing.
Neighbor shipped his belties waddling as fat as pigs at 1100 lbs... they looked delicious and sold right with the blacks.
He's 1/8 belted galloway, 7/8 Angus. That said there are few larger belted galloways out just big as angus and I once saw a registered beltie cow weighted 1,700lbs.

Neighbor came over this morning while I was working to start grinding. Dead eye, being the helpful eager young man he is jumped right in to help, cutting and trimming to feed the small grinder. They got all the rib trimming done by the time I got home. Then dead eye ducked out. I got my small grinder out and we doubled up, seperating the flanks, trimming the rest of the rib portions down to steak ready, the neck meats and got some chuck roasts seperated out. We didn't get to the front legs but they are pretty meaty. he wants to let them age up and debone them for roasts and steaks. Basically it's down to the whole muscle cuts and steak cuts.
Sure is a learning experience for me, paying attention to trying to stick to traditional beef cuts vs doing a deer or pig.

just using the little bit I know about the different cuts and where they come from. I really wish he hadn't broken it down the way he did because it makes it a whole lot more difficult when you don't have all your primal cuts laid out correctly

Did it have much fat. I think that lean beef is overrated! Also if he was chunked up when they slaughtered, he couldn't hang and age very well.

Very little intramuscular fat if any. All the steak cuts hung as whole muscle groups. Front shoulders as one, rear legs as one, and bone in loin sections as one (ribs cut off). Repeat for other side.
I can't complain too much. He gave me about 10 lbs of ground beef and 15 lbs of steak and chuck roast for helping him. It was a good learning experience.

Latest posts