little advice needed

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
i have the oppurtunity to buy some registered angus cows from a ranch that sells replacement cattle.
i am considering buying them with intention raising and selling bulls and replacement heifers.
the fact that i don't have the experience or knowledge of doing this and my little pea patch in no way compares to the ranch(size and reputation) i'm buying from makes me reluctant.
with that said with the quality of the cows and the bulls they are out of should be equal in quality to the "competition".

other than having to deal with people(hate that part)
what are some of the problems i'm likely to encounter ?
what are the drawbacks ?
in general what are your thoughts ?

I did the same thing for a little while and now I use those cows to make my own bulls and I'm happier that way and make the same amount with less work.
Especially with angus you have to factor in the cost of registrations and membership and the only way for the overwhelming amount of epd information to be available is for you to be collecting information and submitting it 24/7.
When you do produce a decent bull, you're going to have a bunch of money tied up in feed. People might complain about fed up bulls that don't work but they still spend a bunch of money on them and tend to pass on the bulls that are fit to work.
You're going to spend ALOT more time and frustration getting cows pregnant. AI is almost a must have and your heterosis is next to zero so you're kind of fighting an uphill battle getting cows bred. Some of my hard breeder registered cows have consistantly stuck first service to white faced bulls.
It's going to be years before you make a name for yourself even though you're buying top notch cattle.

I wish I would have just bought the cows and used them to make my own bulls from day one instead of trying to produce registered cattle for everyone else.

cross_7":1l1mcbem said:
i have the oppurtunity to buy some registered angus cows from a ranch that sells replacement cattle.
i am considering buying them with intention raising and selling bulls and replacement heifers.
the fact that i don't have the experience or knowledge of doing this and my little pea patch in no way compares to the ranch(size and reputation) i'm buying from makes me reluctant.
with that said with the quality of the cows and the bulls they are out of should be equal in quality to the "competition".

other than having to deal with people(hate that part)
what are some of the problems i'm likely to encounter ?
what are the drawbacks ?
in general what are your thoughts ?

The guaranty that comes with selling seedstock.
Are you prepared to refund or replace a bad animal, it happen's I know as I ran a seedstock operation for years.
Not often but it does.

cow pollinater":11eaztcc said:
I did the same thing for a little while and now I use those cows to make my own bulls and I'm happier that way and make the same amount with less work.
Especially with angus you have to factor in the cost of registrations and membership and the only way for the overwhelming amount of epd information to be available is for you to be collecting information and submitting it 24/7.
When you do produce a decent bull, you're going to have a bunch of money tied up in feed. People might complain about fed up bulls that don't work but they still spend a bunch of money on them and tend to pass on the bulls that are fit to work.
You're going to spend ALOT more time and frustration getting cows pregnant. AI is almost a must have and your heterosis is next to zero so you're kind of fighting an uphill battle getting cows bred. Some of my hard breeder registered cows have consistantly stuck first service to white faced bulls.
It's going to be years before you make a name for yourself even though you're buying top notch cattle.

I wish I would have just bought the cows and used them to make my own bulls from day one instead of trying to produce registered cattle for everyone else.

Please elaborate on this please. Did not know that cows can't get bred without high levels of heterosis. If so I know a few folks that would never have calves.

Cross7,

If you are buying a bunch of highly promoted cattle to just turn around and try to sell a bunch of highly promoted cattle then I would pass. With a self described "pea patch", why jump in that big polluted pond?

What would be your breeding purpose?
What would be your end use?
What cattle make the most sense in your environment?
What type will get you there?

Isomade":3scnjc2y said:
The dealing with people part = Don't!

For me anyway.

yeah i hate it, i do it everyday but 99% is repeat customers,
i have reservations about inviting the public out and showing whats for sale, it's hard for me to believe but not everyone is honest.

The guaranty that comes with selling seedstock.
Are you prepared to refund or replace a bad animal, it happen's I know as I ran a seedstock operation for years.
Not often but it does.

i can see it from a buyers perspective, but as a seller it would cut into your bottom line and something you can't control.
the problem i see would be someone that would be dishonest, with my job i see it everyday with customers claiming defective products they have broken and abused

If you are buying a bunch of highly promoted cattle to just turn around and try to sell a bunch of highly promoted cattle then I would pass. With a self described "pea patch", why jump in that big polluted pond?

these are some older proven cows that have been bred for functionality and growth.
from the outside looking in i see the potential for better profits, but thats why i'm asking i'm sure there is more to it than it appears.
i'm looking to retire from the rat race, grow the pea patch and this is something i always thought i'd like to do.

What would be your breeding purpose?
What would be your end use?
What cattle make the most sense in your environment?
What type will get you there?

i'm not sure what you are asking but i want to continue to do exactly the same thing the breeder has.
produce quality cattle that can not just function but thrive in this environment and produce a growthy calf with an above average carcass.

Cross7 what about buying the cows and putting a registered Brahman bull on them for golden certified F1 Brangus heifers to sale or keep?

circlew":30sudpza said:
Cross7 what about buying the cows and putting a registered Brahman bull on them for golden certified F1 Brangus heifers to sale or keep?

that would be an option or balncer and etc.
that would eliminate registration and epd's though

Latest posts