Listeria

Help Support CattleToday:

Shanghai

Reaction score
Ever since the cantaloupe listeria outbreak a couple years ago I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette.
From what I have read it's naturally occurring and found almost everywhere and unless cooked to 165 degrees it could be present.

I've had cantaloupe several times in the last 2-3 weeks
Why would someone continue to eat it knowing it could kill you ? :dunce:

Cause you like it?

First big Listeria outbreak and food recall that I remember was from back in the late 70s early 80s - associated with Eskimo Pie ice cream sandwiches.
Mmmmm. Ice Creammm.....
Hot dogs and processed meats make the frequent flyer list, too.

It is a ubiquitous (it's everywhere!) environmental organism that likes neutral to slightly alkaline pH - and will grow quite nicely at refrigerator temperatures - as a matter of fact, that's one of the 'enrichment' techniques we use in the laboratory, when we're looking for Listeria - we incubate the culture media plates in the refrigerator.

Keep things in perspective: according to the CDC, we average 260 deaths from Listeriosis annually, but 40,000 Americans are slaughtered on our highways each year. Do you avoid driving your car?

People eat cantaloupe because they like it, same as people use tobacco products, even though they have been proven hazardous to your health, what kills more people cantaloupes or tobacco?

Latest posts