Liquid manure...?

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
How strong could I mix fresh cow manure with water to make a fertlizer...good idea?
Sure can tell where the weak spots are in the garden, like I have a baren streak running across the plants. Dark green on each side and yellowing across the streak.
Tilled under a manure pile two years ago and had it covered with black plastic last summer, retilled it this year and planted.
I need to kick start the week warea.
Thanks, Dave Mc

To the best of my knowledge, cattle manure will not burn plants - it is not high in nitrogen which is what causes the burning. I've used it straight - and pretty darn heavily - with no problems, but I haven't tried the manure tea, mainly because I don't have the means to make it.

We've used the piles straight into the garden and roto-tilled it in a few days before planting and have been fine -- healthy, happy plants.

With your location, consider that a high pH might be causing the problem. Your description matches what we watch for in our area. Our soil pH is extremely high here in the high desert of Utah. Even though the minerals are in the soil in great abundance, they are locked up by the high pH. Most folks around here add iron to the soil when the plants, especially berries, start looking like your description.

I make an effort to change the pH, but it's an ongoing battle, as limestone is continually working its way up through the soil. Adding lots of organic matter on a continuous basis will help in the long run. But, even then, you need to add a little nitrogen to offset the composting process.

A simple temporary fix is to fertilize with nitrogen frequently. More than anything, the nitrogen acts as an acid and temporarily acidifies the soil, lowering the pH, and allowing the plants to pull the minerals out of the soil. My green beans are looking like you described. A hit with nitrogen will have them fixed in a few days.

If your problem is high pH, adding manure will only increase the pH. Best to get a soil sample sent off to your state ag college and find out. Meanwhile, I'd fertilize with straight nitrogen and water it in well - sulfate of ammonia or ammonium of sulfate works well for me.

Latest posts