Linebacks

Help Support CattleToday:

vafarmgal

Reaction score
We bought a lineback heifer calf at a market couple of weeks ago. We really like her and would like to know more about her.

Anybody familar with this breed?

I know she is like a holstein breed and some people milk strickly linebacks, I dont think they are very many around but i could be wrong. Any info of would be appreciated.

Got any pictures. The only linebacks I have ever heard of were from Herefors or a cross and they were not wanted. When asked why they were described like one would use to describe the growth and production of a rat tail.

Scotty

If you're talking about Randall Linebacks, it's a rare breed (on the "critical" list of the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy)....you can do a search on Google for more information; also a search on this board will give you some discussion about them a while back. I think the R-L association is in Tennessee. PM me if you want their contact information, okay?

Pinzgauers can also have white tailheads and backs, but not sure if this is the kind of 'lineback' you're talking about.

We have a Char/Red Angus cow here that's also got a bit of a lineback. Have heard that it wasn't that uncommon for some Char lines to throw that trait when crossed out. Every calf from her also has at least a white tailhead.

Take care.

The most common "Lineback" is the American Lineback, which are dairy cattle of basically unknown lineage. I believe that most American Linebacks are mostly Holstein, but several breeds harbor the genes for the "colorsided" lineback pattern.

Pinzgauers are another common breed with a lineback color pattern.

The lineback pattern gene, once expressed, is dominant and will persist in cross breeding.

Randall Cattle are a separate breed very few in numbers in which all of the individuals trace their origins to one herd in Vermont.

The Randall Cattle Registry, Inc.
Cynthia's Randall Cattle Pages
The American Lineback Dairy Cattle Registry

LineBack.jpg

There's a few herds around here.
Steve

There is an excellant article on Lineback cattle in The Small Farmer's Journal,Winter, Vol.10, No.1. The best I can tell you is look at the body shape Long narrow hips probably Holstein cross, Broader beefer hips Pinzgauer, long pointed head/nose long horn cross, solid color face Pinzgauer cross. The lineback color patters are genetically very strong and will persist through many generations. Our Pinzgauer cows or bulls always have lineback calves no matter what the other breed is, the color may change (black, red, brown,creamy,etc) but the stripe is there.