Line Breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

dawnrogerl":20nh58p0 said:
I would appreciate your thoughts on line breeding a exceptional 036 grandaughter back to 036?
Anyone expressing their thoughts on the subject of linebreeding, regardless of what specifics and individuals are involved, would elicit a raft of answers and opinions which would, in turn, arouse the ire of hard core linebreeding believers and UNbelievers alike, the results of which probably would not serve your purposes satisfactorilly.

I suggest that you click on a reliable SEARCH engine, type in "Beef Cattle Linebreeding" (without the quotes), and do a thorough search for yourself. This will educate you to the extent that you desire, and obviate emotional arguments and mis-information, and you may be able to come to the correct decision making resolution with the proper outcome for your particular needs.

DOC HARRIS

I would say it depends on why you want to do it. If you want a specific phenotype, then linebreeding is one way to accomplish that goal fairly rapidly. Any flaws in the bloodline will be amplified.
If production is what you have in mind, think outcross...
I don't have a referance for beef cattle but I was told by a source that I consider to be highly reliable that when a dairy herd makes matings that are specifically outcross matings without any regard to production among the bulls, they can expect to see a one dollar per head per month increase in production from the milking daughters... What that means is that sometimes we can outproduce the high-flying genetics with lesser quality cattle simply by keeping an open pedigree. :D

I'm pretty sure 036 was proven gdf in Australia by researchers.

Sizmic

line breeding is great...remember you will multiply the good traits also remember the bad traits will also be multipied

I love linebreeding with purebred cattle.....I prefer to linebreed maternally...a special cow on both sides of the pedigree....remarkable consistency in the offspring

I see no place for linbreeding in a commercial herd. You will loose that hybrid vigor. Use a bull that is linebred on commercial cows and you will see a genetic explosion....all kinds of hybrid vigor.

sizmic":29de198g said:
I'm pretty sure 036 was proven gdf in Australia by researchers.

Sizmic

You are correct, he was determined defect free by mating him to his daughters.

I'm using several of 036's sons to do line breeding with, allot less expensive and I can find sires that come closer to what I need for my cows. I wouldn't mind owning some nice 036 cows though, I've seen some really nice ones.

Thanks to all for your replys. Point well taken Doc Harris. I am going to do some research but I am inclinde to give line breeding a try.