Limping Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I noticed one of my steers limping a few days ago, on his right front. Checked him over and no noticeable swelling, lacerations, or injuries visible to the eye. It's not rain rot as unfortunately we have had zero rain (praying that we aren't going to be in another drought). It seems as if he is a little stiff legged while walking. He is getting around fine but I can tell he's ouchy. My next step is the get him in the squeeze in the next few days and really see if I can feel for any heat and look to see if he's got something going on with his hoof, knee joint, or shoulder. I will give him some bute too while in the squeeze. Any other recommendations or thoughts? Of course if not better by the next few days I will call the vet out. He is with 3 other steers on about 15 acres so who knows what kind of trouble they could of gotten into. I know my horses get stone bruises from time to time so hoping it is something that will resolve on its own.

Benign neglect when the animal is not worth a whole lot, especially on limps. Give it a few days. A vet farm visit will be expensive. Young steers are like teenage boys. They get a bunch of bumps and bruises.
If I had a vet visit everytime a animal was limping they would put my name on one of those buildings at A & M.

Benign neglect when the animal is not worth a whole lot, especially on limps. Give it a few days. A vet farm visit will be expensive. Young steers are like teenage boys. They get a bunch of bumps and bruises.
If I had a vet visit everytime a animal was limping they would put my name on one of those buildings at A & M.
Lol! I'm giving it a few days. He gets around just fine but I can tell he's sore.

Thank you. I did not know that. Even if the animal isn't being processed for another 6 months? Withdrawal period or just not approved altogether?
Not approved altogether. Technically a veterinarian could still prescribe it and use it on a beef animal if they had already proven that alternative drugs were ineffective, but I don't know any vets that would do it. It's a human health hazard that just isn't worth it.

Not approved altogether. Technically a veterinarian could still prescribe it and use it on a beef animal if they had already proven that alternative drugs were ineffective, but I don't know any vets that would do it. It's a human health hazard that just isn't worth it.
Ok thank you very much! I will for sure not use bute.

Well today the limo seems significantly less! Almost completely gone. Darn animals always keeping us on are toes aren't they?!

Latest posts