limping calves

Help Support CattleToday:

iwannaknow53

Reaction score
I have an eight month old heifer and she's gone cripple on me. She holds her left rear leg off the ground when she walks. It appears to be very painful. She's gone from a slight limp to a full blown "hold it up". So, I penned her up today, put her in the chute and tried to get a good look at it. She was totally non-cooperative in the chute but I finally get her in the squeeze. I don't see any swelling, her hoof appears to be ok, although she won't put any weight on it. I gave her a dose of LA 300 thinking its a potential joint infection I can't see. All was going ok, UNTIL....I let her out of the chute. Man, she went wild on me. The limp was not going to stop her from getting to me. She wasn't the most tame thing to begin with but now, I can't even get close and she tries to get me through the corral. I left her alone in the open portion of the corral area for about 5 hours and she hasn't calmed down a bit. I gave her some sweet mix, cubes and a big tub of water and she hasn't touched them. I don't know what my next plan of action is. I also noticed today one of my new calves is limping too. I just can't get a grip on whats going on. I have had 29 calves for the last three seasons and these are the first problems I have seen. The older heifer was worked in September with 8 way and wormed and did fine till recently. Any thoughts?

Luckiamute":vm3s4ca0 said:
Abscess? Small rock(s) stuck in hoof? Both can be very painful.

I had a cow that came up limp. Loaded her up and took her to the vet. He found an abcessin the bottom of the hoof. He trimmed her hoof. That's been 3 years ago and she's been fine since. She did continue to limp for about 2 weeks afterwards until it heeled up.

Had a small flat rock, almost like an arrowhead, stuck waaaay up in between a cows toes; discovered it when I dug around with a flat head screwdriver. But I agree most likely an abscess and I definitely agree with Jeanne! As far as the calf, it probably got stepped on.

thanks for the insight. I don't put up with bad tempered cows, but with calves, I guess what you see is what you'll get too. she'll get some wheels soon.

Latest posts