Limping calf??

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Got a month old calf limping on a front leg. Noticed it a few days ago but could not get it up. Got it up today, nothing visible I can see between the hooves. No signs of swelling, leg feels the same as the other one, nothing feels warm. She seems fine other wise. Any suggestions of anything else to look for?

Nothing else to look for.

If it gets worse you could try some Oxytet to see if there is an infection in there that isn't swelling yet.

Sounds like it could just be a simple thing, like a pulled muscle, a sore tendon. Something that resulted from taking a "bad step" while running/playing. May have twisted something.

I would be inclined to take a "wait and see" approach. Give it a 3 or 5 more days. If it stays the same or gets worse, then I would take further action.

We're dealing with one as well with a 5 month old steer. Away from the herd & limping a month ago, temp was normal, no obvious signs of swelling, foot rot, trauma, leg felt fine, etc. Wait & see. Was back with the herd a few days later, kept an eye on him, seemed okay but still lagging a bit, figured he must have tweaked or sprained something. Keeping up with the herd the past couple weeks. All of the sudden he was away from the herd again this morning and his right shoulder is definitely swollen. Got him/mama to the barn & calling the vet 1st thing in the morning.

Tom, I hope yours turns out well and I agree it's probably a sprain, bruise, maybe even got stepped on by her mama.

TCRanch":26t90hvq said:
We're dealing with one as well with a 5 month old steer. Away from the herd & limping a month ago, temp was normal, no obvious signs of swelling, foot rot, trauma, leg felt fine, etc. Wait & see. Was back with the herd a few days later, kept an eye on him, seemed okay but still lagging a bit, figured he must have tweaked or sprained something. Keeping up with the herd the past couple weeks. All of the sudden he was away from the herd again this morning and his right shoulder is definitely swollen. Got him/mama to the barn & calling the vet 1st thing in the morning.

Tom, I hope yours turns out well and I agree it's probably a sprain, bruise, maybe even got stepped on by her mama.

TCRanch--do you have an update on the limping calf?

Sorry, never updated. Took him to the vet last Mon and he couldn't find any signs of a break, dislocated shoulder, infection, foot rot, nothing other than the swollen shoulder and figured he probably re-injured himself. Gave him a shot of Dex and we kept him in the barn until Thurs then let him join the herd. Still on the fringe and still limping but not as much and has a ravenous appetite. We're weaning within the next couple weeks and will probably hold him back unless he shows considerable improvement.

Latest posts