Limiters

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
A take off from the Accuration thread. What are the limiter choices that you know of or have used. We have used Accuration but concur it is good but pricey. Salt works so, so. Are there other limiters?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl":uv7u356j said:
A take off from the Accuration thread. What are the limiter choices that you know of or have used. We have used Accuration but concur it is good but pricey. Salt works so, so. Are there other limiters?

Thanks,
Farmgirl
Farmgirl anytime you see someone that has a "limiter" feed they have usually worked with a nutritionist and formulated a package to put into the feed to accomplish their goal. Most are very complicated, containing numerous products from bad tasting ingredients to urea, ammonium chloride, etc and are expensive. Accuration is expensive but the additives to limit the intake (including the fish oil) are very expensive often adding several dollars to each bag of feed. I've been out of contact for awhile so am not aware of any companies making feeds with limiters other than the salt you mentioned but I'm sure there are some out there and for the most part the all work.

Thanks TB. I have a need to use limiters from time to time. Salt works ok but not a good choice for use in a metal trough.
Is Rumensin considered a limiter? I have gotten a supposed limiter feed at the coop that contains rumensin. Works so, so, but not great.

Thank you,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl":32trfj1z said:
Thanks TB. I have a need to use limiters from time to time. Salt works ok but not a good choice for use in a metal trough.
Is Rumensin considered a limiter? I have gotten a supposed limiter feed at the coop that contains rumensin. Works so, so, but not great.

Thank you,
Farmgirl
Rumen will sort of knock them off feed temporarily but not permanently.

CPC Commodities in KY has a limiter product which is actually algae based. They have three different concentrations for the various levels of limitation you want. It works well as I have tried it a couple of times on some steers that had been on grass all summer. Filled the feeder up and turned them loose, no issues whatsoever without warming them up. Down side is that it doesn't flow down very good in the three ton feeder. The least limiting ration not so bad but the highest concentration will set up like a rock, to concentrated and just packs too bad. I have shared the issues with them but don't know if they fixed the issue. Can be mixed with corn or whatever you want to use.

Latest posts