Limi Cross Cow Culling?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have been mostly buying or retaining smaller more feminine wf heifers so my average cow size is dropping fast. The two biggest cows I still have are 8 year old limi crosses that weigh about 1400# and wean a very average calf. They like to eat more than they like to milk and so they are fat all year round. Average disposition. I figure they eat about $130 more feed per year than a 1100# animal. I am tempted to load them out with the char crosses.

What else would you include to compare the profitability of large proven cows like this to a younger 1100# cow?

Ought to be able to get between 65 and 70 cents a pound for them.

Would that help make a decision?

To be profitable, they either have to raise a stout steer each year, or produce functional daughters that will. Otherwise, your losing money.

Cash in and buy some more cheap open wf heifers. :cowboy:

1982vett":plja5uq5 said:
Ought to be able to get between 65 and 70 cents a pound for them.

Would that help make a decision?

:nod: that makes a lot of decisions easier

Aaron":ww0t0cwv said:
To be profitable, they either have to raise a stout steer each year, or produce functional daughters that will. Otherwise, your losing money.

Cash in and buy some more cheap open wf heifers. :cowboy:

I am little reluctant to ship my "best cows." Lots of frame size and muscle looks good when you drive by but I don't keep their heifers. I have a number of "feminine" looking smaller cows that raise bigger calves.

At this rate well over half my herd will be 2 to 4 years old. Fourteen of my wf hiefers calved so far - - one DOA, one pulled and rejected by his mother, one looks like it is not getting enough milk, remaining 11 are doing great.

Although I think .65 to .70 is great I am being told that that may be cheap before the summer is over. If that happens I will have a lot of hay to sell next winter.

Latest posts