Limi bull rate of gain?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased two unweaned half brothers in late October when they weighed 680#.
They went on fall pasture for 6 weeks and then some rained on hay.
I weighed them today at 820# - - so 140# of gain in two months of so so forage.
Is this typical?

Red Bull Breeder":24zs2hev said:
Sounds like they are doing good Steve.

The Limi bulls were fat coming off the cows and I was not sure how well they would do on forage.
They were running with a couple weaned angus calves and out gained them. The angus averaged 1.7 #/day.

My biggest Angus X calves weaned at 640 with no creep. Most of my herd are first or second calf rwf bred BA. Most milk well, a few are on my cull list. Almost all of my replacements are bwf, or black crazy face from shorthorn in the woodpile. This is what the Limis will need to improve on.

Implants would have helped the Angus steers a bit, but I can see that none off them are as long or as growthy as these Limis. After I see a couple really good ones grow it gets harder to bid at the sales barn.

that is a good average on pasture and hay only.as u know many people brag about huge gains and weaning weights and claim it is with no supplement and that is not true.i was at a cattle saleout a couple monthe back and watched 36 angus bulls sale weighing between 1,850lbs to 2,100lbs and none of them were even 2yrs old until march and the guy claimed they had only been on pasture.no way in he!! do u get that many bulls that big on grass only at under 2yrs of age.i know there is always a genetic freak here and there that just does great but not a whole group in my opinion.the open heifers that were breeding age were weighing 1,200 and up.all the stock there was big and looked n excellent condition but at what cost?

Back when corn was dirt cheap - - I could get 3.4 #/day on "pasture" (and a lot of Accuration) from Char crosses.

I put a lot of effort now days into growing good grass, and if they don't do well on that someone else gets to own them.

These calves were on bluegrass pasture for a month, then on alfalfa/grass hay field regrowth and snow for a month. They would not come home for water so I 4 wheeled out to them once a week with mineral. They were nosing around the alfalfa stems to get at green fescue underneath the snow...

Is there a difference in frame size between the angus calves and the limis? Could it be that the limis will mature out at a larger weight, and so while they are growing faster, it will take them longer to finish out?

CPL":2iat6o6l said:
Is there a difference in frame size between the angus calves and the limis? Could it be that the limis will mature out at a larger weight, and so while they are growing faster, it will take them longer to finish out?
Yes, Yes, Yes

I am little nervous with putting these bulls on moderate English cows but that is the plan.

Latest posts