Lime spreading

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
I have had 30 ton of lime delivered. It is the ground up limestone just like sand and gritty and damp. I would like to spread it myself but this stuff just does not want to flow. I know a belt spreader would be ideal but I would be interested if anyone had any novel ways of spreading it. I looked at a lime dropper last weekend but I doubt that this stuff would drop through the holes even with the agitator spinning around.
Ken

Mixing it with a front end loader will improve the spreading.
Mixing it with a drier load of lime will improve the spreading.
Cheap old timers would put in a manure box spreader - - on top of a partial load of manure.

if you have the time and patience it can be done. a long sheet of black plastic and scatter a hopper full out on it in the sun it does not take long for it to dry and you can then shovel it into the hopper and spread it. increase your ground speed and the vibrations/ shaking of the hopper will assist in getting it to flow.

An old top beater spreader will work, but it had better be in good shape. Lime is heavy and really takes a toll on equipment.

Ok thanks guys, that gives me a few ideas to play with. It sounds like it is a matter of persistence and turning up every day and get a bit done.
Ken

Latest posts