Lifting Super Sack

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
I buy feed in one ton super sacks and store it in 60 gallon drums. Unfortunately my tractor can only lift about 1,400 pounds. As a result, I normally, empty 600-700 pounds by hand and then I lift the sack with the tractor.
I would like ideas on what type of winch/hoist would work to set up in the barn. I have a 16' concrete center aisle and would like to fix something overheard.
Any ideas? (Other than trading in tractor for a larger one).
Pictures or a website to look at would be great!
Thanks!

if you have access to some channel iron and can get it mounted. you can get a rail chain hoist from harbor freight fairly cheap.

the channel iron will probally be around 200 buck to run the length on the barn

Why not just put the barrels on a trailer and have them fill the barrels on the trailer at the feed store. I know a guy here that does it this way.

Barrels are the easiest. I buy my deer corn in bulk and have them put it in barrels. Barrels will run the same cost as the overhead hoist minus the angle iron. So whatever is easiest for you.

papavillars":2c986lg4 said:
Barrels are the easiest. I buy my deer corn in bulk and have them put it in barrels. Barrels will run the same cost as the overhead hoist minus the angle iron. So whatever is easiest for you.

Papavillars, I have a buddy who has a deer lease over in Leon county, just down the road from you. Are you able to get a good deal on that bulk corn for your feeders? If so do you mind sharing the information?

Thanks M5Farm!

The beam and hoist idea will have many uses other than just for lifting super sacks.

Much appreciated!

UncleLA

UncleLA":26ly5xnd said:
Thanks M5Farm!

The beam and hoist idea will have many uses other than just for lifting super sacks.

Much appreciated!

UncleLA
Just do us all a favor and don't buy any cheap chit from China to lift any thing heavy.

UncleLA":31ifq83v said:
I buy feed in one ton super sacks and store it in 60 gallon drums. Unfortunately my tractor can only lift about 1,400 pounds. As a result, I normally, empty 600-700 pounds by hand and then I lift the sack with the tractor.
I would like ideas on what type of winch/hoist would work to set up in the barn. I have a 16' concrete center aisle and would like to fix something overheard.
Any ideas? (Other than trading in tractor for a larger one).
Pictures or a website to look at would be great!
Thanks!
is that 1400 with the front end loader? Could build a 3 point winch/pole setup....think poles like on a oilfield winch truck. Could make it and use a chain hoist(hang it at the top) vs electric winch. I just about have the parts gathered up to build, but have not yet. I am building it so I can lift heavier stuff than my Front end loader can do.http://www.economymfg.com/productimages/100_2274.jpg

Lay down 3 or 4 rough cut 2x6 runners on the trailer and nail down some plywood on top of those. Set the sack on top of the plywood, fill it up, then back it in the barn and chain the ends of the 2x6 to the barn post, or anchor point in the concrete, and drive out from under it. Its reusable and cheap..........and redneck, but so what. :D

Latest posts