Life is good!

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Plenty of grazing, barn full of hay, cows getting fat and sassy.
cowmil.jpg
[/img]

Looks like you've had plenty of rain. We would've had pasture like that expect for the fact that we had virtually no rainfall in May and June. Here lately we're getting rain and it's amazing how the grass is coming back. Sure is a good feeling. Hope it lasts.

What type of grass are those cows grazing, Mike? SF, I have friend whose dad farms in Lone Oak and she says they're hurting bad for rain right now. I've got enough water in the mudhole behind my barn to irrigate a hayfield!
J. T.

If you don't mind me asking what type of forage are your cattle grazing? Beautiful looking place you have.

I've got seven yearling heifers on three acres of Tifleaf. Had to mow it down a couple of weeks ago because it was getting too tall and tough to eat. A day or two later, after it had grown three or four inches, the heifers were back in some good, tender grazing.

susie":2tvc7qt7 said:
Can I grow it in Washington??

Susie

Don't know. Check with your extension agent.

Doves eating the seeds? My girls don't let it get big enough for many seeds. The quail preserves here plant it for cover and seed.

J. T.":ck8x0lfu said:
What type of grass are those cows grazing, Mike? SF, I have friend whose dad farms in Lone Oak and she says they're hurting bad for rain right now. I've got enough water in the mudhole behind my barn to irrigate a hayfield!
J. T.

JT, I'm sure the Lone Oak area is hurting as bad as we are. We had about 1 inch of rain a couple of weeks ago. All gone now. We've only had about 2.5 to 3 inches since early May. Real dry, grass is going dormant.
Greg

Doves will eat the seeds of Tifleaf of course but I wouldn't plant it for that purpose. Browntop millet would be a better choice. Doves don't like or want the cover provided by Tifleaf. Browntop provides little cover. Doves like that. Quail are the opposite. Better yet, if you can keep deer out, grow sunflowers for dove, and burn it down with roundup two or three weeks before opening day.