Life Choices

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
As I was driving through Provo Utah I came to realize why I have made some of my life choices. It took me for what seemed like forever to get through Provo. After college I could have went to work for some big construction company but the idea of living in the big city just didn't appeal to me. Just way to many people in one place. I don't really mind people so much, I just prefer not to rub elbows them all. Had I gone to work for some big construction company I would most likely be in some big city, although I would probably be making more money.

Yeah, I know what you mean.
Not knowing what I wanted to do, I enrolled in college after high school and got a teacher's certificate. All my friends were doing something similar.
I lived at the time in love with the outdoors and my home county, hunting and fishing at every opportunity.
At 19 I purchased a rough farm near town, land around here was cheap at that time. I am still there 52 years later. The early years were a struggle and I did not marry until fairly late (a struggling farmer was not much of a catch).
To many, I remain a kind of nobody who never accomplished much. To me, I lived the dream, greatly enhanced by a wife, children and grandchildren.
With all debts satisfied, I am at peace in my own little kingdom, with money to purchase things i once desired but no longer feel a need for.
I am thankful for the choices I made and the help along the way. To say I was blessed is not doing the situation justice.

As I was driving through Provo Utah I came to realize why I have made some of my life choices. It took me for what seemed like forever to get through Provo. After college I could have went to work for some big construction company but the idea of living in the big city just didn't appeal to me. Just way to many people in one place. I don't really mind people so much, I just prefer not to rub elbows them all. Had I gone to work for some big construction company I would most likely be in some big city, although I would probably be making more money.
Yeah, Provo has grown a mite... Now it's solid people all the way to Payson. I was really disappointed when they closed the Spanish Fork sale barn. I think there are only three active sale barns in Utah now, and two are within twenty-five miles of each other.

Wife and I were thinking the same....
On graduation day my gift was a ticket anywhere. I chose Florida and then 6 years later joined the army. Visited 42 countries, 45 states and settled in TN with a European wife of now 23years! What if....

With all debts satisfied, I am at peace in my own little kingdom, with money to purchase things i once desired but no longer feel a need for.
Isn't that a funny thing? We feel like we finally made it and can do or have most anything we want but don't have the need for much anymore.

I can think of many choices I made which altered the way life has gone. But quitting college to make my fame and fortune riding bucking horses was the first one that came to mind. You will notice how rich and famous I am.

Had to Edit. The wife said dinner was ready in the middle of writing this yesterday.

Last edited:

Latest posts