lick tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

We use Feed rite.
Low moisture...do not go through it as fast
No animal by product
All natural, but then there is a trade off. Not as high in protien as the urea blocks or tubs
We use them sometimes after calving when there is not much grass to help the cows out (pre breeding) and sometimes in the fall to give them an extra boost when the pasture is poor

Most of the cooked tubs are ok. Crystalix I guess is still the industry leader. I've also feed a few made by MLS Tubs. They use the Amaferm product in their tubs which IS a great feed additive. Not the least expensive way to feed but consumption is lower in cooked tubs and if they're well fortified they do a good job. 99% of the time I still feed cubes.

ScannedImage.jpg

I really don't have enough experience to give an opinion. However, I can say the cows are licking it up at a quick rate. I'm sure some people will have an opinion on the urea in the ingredients.

Walt

Sure a 32% protein can be utilized well, at low intakes. It's the total protein intake that matters, not the percentage of protein in the supplement.

rk":1n9asyj1 said:
Sure a 32% protein can be utilized well, at low intakes. It's the total protein intake that matters, not the percentage of protein in the supplement.
With the lack of quality Hay in this area, Cattle dont want to leave the Tubs.So how would you control their intake?

The tag is from a liquid supplement. If it's good quality, and that one is, consumption usually remains relatively low. It will fluctuate some with quality/quantity of forage, which is to be expected. Good cooked tubs, on the other hand, usually regulate consumption with the hardness.

Back when I took An. Sci. classes I believe they said high fat content was more important than protein. It sticks with the longer and provides more energy. Has anyone else heard or believe this? Who has a high fat content?

Santas and Duhram Reds":3uu41g4y said:
Back when I took An. Sci. classes I believe they said high fat content was more important than protein. It sticks with the longer and provides more energy. Has anyone else heard or believe this? Who has a high fat content?
Energy is an important ingredient of the diet. Without adequate energy the cow will consume more supplement than is required for protein.
Here is a very informative site that I have posted before. http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1322/B1322.htm

As far as the percent protein goes, it is not the percent of protein in the supplement that is important, it is the amount of protein consumed in relation to hay, starch or what ever else the cow is eating that is important and of course the animal requirements as to age and condition, bred, open, with calf, etc.
Another important thing to remember is that cattle have the ability to store protein for a certain length of time for future use as needed.

I have found the CLS to be a better supplement. Really makes them clean up the hay and hustle as well.
They maintain body condition great through the winter.

I am hoping they come out with them in assortment and gift box designs, the girls (cows) will really go for them! Especially appreciated on anniversaries and special occassions!

Picked up a new brand this AM. Rangeland brand. 25% protein and 15 % fat. All natural molasses base. 250# for 71.00. I have tried urea based from Westway feeds befor. Seems if you ever let them run out you can never fill them back up.

Caustic Burno":1nzizt5q said:
I have found the CLS to be a better supplement. Really makes them clean up the hay and hustle as well.

Do you have a website or label or something for that stuff CB? That looks a lot more attractive to me than feeding them water/sugar tubs.

How do you use it, just pour it on the hay?

ALX.":3dq6cboo said:
Caustic Burno":3dq6cboo said:

Do you have a website or label or something for that stuff CB? That looks a lot more attractive to me than feeding them water/sugar tubs.

How do you use it, just pour it on the hay?

No you have to have a liquid feeder (Lick tank) check out Nutrena liquid feed by Cargill.
Cost here is 260 a ton.

Scotty":1fame4du said:
Picked up a new brand this AM. Rangeland brand. 25% protein and 15 % fat. All natural molasses base. 250# for 71.00. I have tried urea based from Westway feeds befor. Seems if you ever let them run out you can never fill them back up.

Is this the one: http://www.beeflinks.com/Manual/1800046.pdf ?

or one of these: http://www.beeflinks.com/pasture_produc ... 20&%20Tubs ?

I'd be interested to know which product you bought so I could see if I can find some locally.

Though it's not a tub, we feed Mix 30 (16 protein and 10 fat). Can feed in lick wheel tanks or open topped tubs/troughs/or whatever. http://www.mix30.com Cost right now is 175 a ton (250 gallons). We use a 275 gallon square tank (inside a frame) with a ball valve attached at the bottom and a hose (via banjo coupler) to put it in the tanks.

farmwife":36qld0yk said:
Though it's not a tub, we feed Mix 30 (16 protein and 10 fat). Can feed in lick wheel tanks or open topped tubs/troughs/or whatever. http://www.mix30.com Cost right now is 175 a ton (250 gallons). We use a 275 gallon square tank (inside a frame) with a ball valve attached at the bottom and a hose (via banjo coupler) to put it in the tanks.

Is the $175 per ton the normal price, or has it gone up this year?

KenB":714z7dw7 said:
farmwife":714z7dw7 said:

Is the $175 per ton the normal price, or has it gone up this year?

We paid 190 a ton delivered to our tanks. Last year it was 160. We should have plenty come calving season since we fenced the cows out of where it is. The hay this year is only low quality, last year we fed multiple year old that had been stored outside. That stuff was way below low quality more like crappy or P-poor. The possums are getting into the open tanks though. Gotta remove another one in the morning.