Lets talk sprayers

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
I need a sprayer, don't have a lot of acreage, but would like to be as efficient as possible. Time is always limited, as well as finances. Can't really use a large boom in the trees , so I'm thinking about 150 gallon 3pt at max for a 40 horse massey, I have other tractors but that one has the clearance to get everywhere. Our ground is rocky and rough, not to say we won't aquire better ground, but I want to hear your experience and opinion, thanks ahead of time.

One of the fellas on here has a blower deal that is really slick for stuff like that. Sure would work good if you had uneven ground and a bunch of trees like I do. I beat our pull type spray rig to death.

If you are determined to go three point, I wouldn't go much over 100 gallon on that size tractor Its not fun to get up on one wheel with one. But you can always buy a bigger sprayer and not fill it up as much where the terrain is iffy. I was always to stubborn for that, hence the up on one wheel remark.

I would get a 100 gallon boomless and one of the cheap 250 gallon skid totes to use for a surge tank. This would keep the sprayer light enough for your tractor, but the surge tank would keep your re-fill time to a minimum.

I use a tote on a trailer, 4 GPM 12 volt pump, Hamilton boomless tip. Been over well over 1000 acres with it. Works fine everytime. I put a regulator on it, when I built it, but run it opened all the way (meaning it's probably not necessary). I have less than $250 in the whole thing. I am considering a roller pump, and may switch it soon.

I just bought a 3-pt PTO driven boomless 110 gal for my 50 hp. First and only sprayer I've ran over 15 gals and used it once already. It has two nozzles and a sprayer hose and I get about 30 ft of coverage thru the nozzles. The only negative was having to stop a couple of times to refill for my 16 acres.

snoopdog said:
I need a sprayer, don't have a lot of acreage, but would like to be as efficient as possible. Time is always limited, as well as finances. Can't really use a large boom in the trees , so I'm thinking about 150 gallon 3pt at max for a 40 horse massey, I have other tractors but that one has the clearance to get everywhere. Our ground is rocky and rough, not to say we won't aquire better ground, but I want to hear your experience and opinion, thanks ahead of time.
What's your massey rated for weight wise on the 3 pt arms?
8.33lbs/gal X 150 gals=1250lbs on your 3 point just for the liquid..doesn't include weight of tank...

Bigfoot said:
I use a tote on a trailer, 4 GPM 12 volt pump, Hamilton boomless tip. Been over well over 1000 acres with it. Works fine everytime. I put a regulator on it, when I built it, but run it opened all the way (meaning it's probably not necessary). I have less than $250 in the whole thing. I am considering a roller pump, and may switch it soon.
Same here with a 330 gal tote, except I went with 8 roller pto pump from the gitgo and a Teejet cluster nozzle, augmented with a 2nd option of short Fimco boomless 3 nozzle setup. Been using it about 4, maybe 5 years now, on an old 4x8 single axle trailer that was just sitting around doing nothing. Spray from 40-80 acres every year..some years twice per year if we have a wet summer and the weeds come back from seed in late summer/early fall.

I did have a 330 nurse tank on a different trailer that I refilled from, but found it just about as quick to run back to the house and fill from a faucet. I was using quick disconnects on my hoses, and just connected the suction side of the pump to the nurse tank and sucked from it, setting the valve on the sprayer tank to the mixing position. May have been better, if I had a bigger nurse tank, but regardless, except for travel time back to the house, and back to the pasture, it takes the same amount of time 'per gallon' filling from my water well as from the nurse tank, so I quit using the nurse tank. I generally only filled up to about 250-275 gallons anyway. Never had an issue with it wanting to flip over or the trailer slide, but when filled to 300 gal+ it always was in the back of my mind when I was traveling on a slope.

I don't have rocky land but have pulled that trailer rig along the side of my pond dam with no trouble and do have a big drainage area out on the east side with a pretty good incline on each side. I'm using an old 3600 Ford tractor to pull it with.

Pictures of it are on pg 2 of this thread:
https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1530204#p1530204

Bigfoot said:
I know I could build one in my spare time, but that is at a premium. I do have 300 gal totes that I use to fill with, and that should go much more efficiently this year since we aquired a good trailer. Had to let some water out last year because the tires were rubbing on the 1 ton. I may rent again this year, not informed enough, or willing to turn loose the cost of a new one to purchase right now. It's auction season though and I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks everyone.

I realize I'm late to the party here but I second checking the wt rating on ur tractor and also consider how steep are your hills. We also have a 3pt and it works great for what ur trying to accomplish. I do highly recommend a Hamilton nozzle if u are planning to spray around trees.

I'm aware that the tractor is too light for a full 150 gallon tank, but on the open ground that we have, where I could use a bigger tractor it would be nice to not have to fill so many times.

snoopdog said:
Bigfoot said:
I know I could build one in my spare time, but that is at a premium. I do have 300 gal totes that I use to fill with, and that should go much more efficiently this year since we aquired a good trailer. Had to let some water out last year because the tires were rubbing on the 1 ton. I may rent again this year, not informed enough, or willing to turn loose the cost of a new one to purchase right now. It's auction season though and I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks everyone.

My neighbor built a jam up rig out of a 300 gallon tote. Built a metal frame that the hay bunks would slide in.
It was boomless sprayer as well.
He died a year ago March and I don't know if his widow sold it, it not I will try and get some pictures.

Well, been shopping around, made my mind up I was going to buy one from a guy, missed a deal earlier in the week. Anyhow, the one I really wanted was a couple hundred too high, almost settled on another cheaper one, I bailed and headed home, day ruined. Almost home, I called the local coop, I'd seen they had some when I was trying to buy fertilizer, but I figured they were higher than dicks hatband, well they were 2 bills cheaper! I now own a 110 gal 3pt sprayer, but I already broke one of the ceramic nozzles dang it, got 10 acres sprayed though, and I'll spray another 5 tomorrow, broken nozzle and all. The day was not ruined.

I use a boomless sprayer...single point nozzle, all brass, adjustable top whereby you can spray 180 or 90 degrees to one side, ag supply stores carry them; 100 gal FG tank, on wheels and drawbar connected, PTO pump . Have the spray head mounted about 4' off the ground and get 40-50' at 15-20 psig (adjustable filter/pressure regulator) between pump and nozzle...TSC has them and PTO rpms. I like it because I can take it anywhere and the low pressure keeps the droplets large enough to reduce overspray or drifting to a minimum....still have to pick a calm day.

Latest posts