Let the good times roll

Help Support CattleToday:

BC

Reaction score
Just got in from the sale and it was a run away. 585 to 600 lb weaned, dried out steers brought $1.19. Blacks and Charolais crosses. Had the right condition to go to grass. Other cattle sold well also except for plainer heifers.

kenny thomas":2v1uaqkc said:
Any thoughts on how long it will last?

My guess is a month or two after which you have to time your selling to when you expect the grass to burn up and go away. Would be nice if it just got better and better...but I suspect that is wishfull thinking. Just part of the "seasonality" of cattle, the time when everyone wants to buy and the time everyone wants to sell.

"Poor" cattle, cattle that just need something to eat, can really sell well this time of year. My ryegrass and oats has jumped out of the ground these last two partly sunny and warmer weeks. If I didn't have any catttle to put on it, now would be the time to stock it.

Memories seem to be pretty short as we saw a big spring run up a couple of years back that lost a ton of money that fall when sold as fats.

This is a graze out market. Take advantage of the situation and contract or hedge.

The Cow/Calf clinic is at Van Zandt on the 26th. I always enjoy their clinics. Their supposed to have a buyers panel again at this one.