Let it get to big

Help Support CattleToday:

Beats a snow ball. Wait a minute you are in south Texas. Maybe a dry year a tumble weed. Baling it when it gets that big can be a pain in the rear, it will try the new JD roller out. A corn chopper harvester with a grass head would work good there. It would make a load in no time and grind it up fine.

Finally got dry enough to get in this.
Jeez....
Now the problem is getting the stems to dry. They hold on to moisture so long. A rubber roll conditioner will crush the stems pretty good, but tend to plug up when cutting. A metal impeller type will not do much to crush the stems. Tighten up the clearance on the impeller type and it starts grinding it up - with some high HP required. That is a crop that can quickly get ahead of you with some rain. If making baleage, the stems tend to punch holes in the wrap when it is that big. Hard to rake or tedder. But tonnage is high. At least, that is how it works here. Many hot dry days needed now.

Here I would bale it green and let it go to silage. Put 3 wraps on each bale, and squeeze them close together. My 504R Premium Vermeer loves the green stuff, but IZ used to bale with a 648 New Holland. Never had a problem with baling green. Years ago baled some wheat hay. It was so geen the juice was running out on the rollers. I was baling with a 605A vermeer and a 5500 Hesston.. Left it in the field for 2 weeks. It got hot I know because you could smell it a 100yds away!!! Cows would run over youto get to it and did nto waste a bit. It smelled like tobacco, but they loved it..

Latest posts