Let 'er rip (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
How about a little "before and after":

At weaning, adj WW=624

02TFace.jpg

02TRear.jpg

Today, 16 days short of being a yearling. I'll be getting his yearling weight next weekend, but I'd guess him to be around 950-1000 today:

2TTop.jpg

2TRear.jpg

2TProfile.jpg

2TFace.jpg

Fire away!!

TNMasterBeefProducer":2e63wx8s said:
Got a big ole pallett head on him

Although I don't think this bull has a perfect hereford head, I'd really like to know what a hereford head should look like in your opinion? Post a pic of your ideal hereford head if possible, if you can't then post a pic of your ideal head of any breed you like. Just tell the rest of us what to look for so that we can know for future reference.

KNERSIE":31ltv1fi said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":31ltv1fi said:
Got a big ole pallett head on him

Although I don't think this bull has a perfect hereford head, I'd really like to know what a hereford head should look like in your opinion? Post a pic of your ideal hereford head if possible, if you can't then post a pic of your ideal head of any breed you like. Just tell the rest of us what to look for so that we can know for future reference.
his head is fine he's just showing effect of testosterone ;-)

I think the head is fine as well. It gets cold this time of year and I think most is just a lot of hair. If you took clippers and shaved his head he would look fine. He is not a bad looking bull. How does he look on the move?

I'll take Knersie's bait.

I like the shape and proportions of my bull's head. He has a broad forehead with the spacing between the eyes equal to the distance from the poll to the eye and the eye to the nose. Nice strong jaw with wide muzzle. His horns are naturally down turned and have never been weighted. Nice coarse, tight curls on his forehead. You can see his slightly dished face in the profile photo.
I just wish he had full eye pigment.

Maybe you can spot why we call him Elvis?

head1.jpg

head3.jpg

Even if I didn't know you had one, I'd guess him to be a Lents bull. He looks just like several of Jim's bulls, several of which sport the "Elvis" look. Please post us some more photos. Especially side and rear quarter views. There are few bulls with the kind of hindquarters that a Lents Lamplighter bull consistently displays. :clap:

I like him. He has adequate bone, good structure, and thick top and rear quarter (carries the muscle down to the hock). Of course, there are a few things that I would like to change on him. He cuts up a little in the rear flank, somewhat short in the front 1/3 (like to give him more extension), and he could be a little more square from hooks to pins. I'm being pretty picky here, but you asked for it.

The major fault that I see is his YW (I know it's a guess). He has a great WW and I'd like to see him keep the pace through yearling -- he ought to be weighing at least 1100 with a WW like he had.

I'd find a commercial man to sell him to (don't give him away, he's plenty good).

Let us know his real YW.

Thanks for everyone's analysis. To answer a few questions, we got his YW this weekend, he was a little lighter than I had guessed. He weighed 945 on 2/3/08, 9 days shy of his birthday. I'm still guessing he'll adjust over 1000 since he's out of a heifer. I don't recall if anyone asked for it, but here are his numbers and pedigree:

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... F&9=5E5D5F

I would have liked him to weigh 1000, but we weren't pushing him at all from weaning until about 10 months, so I'm satisfied with him as my first venture at raising a bull. I have him sold to a couple of brothers who farm near here. I am holding him until March 1 and they even told me I should cut him back a bit on feed and that they aren't planning on using him til June 1 and they didn't want him too fat.

Latest posts